• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance problems :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wg34

California

Hello, an thanks for any feedback in advance.
I was in a car accident (rear ended) someone so automatic fault. I was driving a family members car and did not have insurance for that car neither was the car insured. I have spoke with my insurance company and they cannot do anything since the car i was driving had no insurance an i only had liability for my own car. The people i got in an accident with after speaking with them and there insurance company have only liability as well. I have asked for them to get an estimate and may hopefully be able to arrange some type of repayment system with them since they are willing to do that. I had a person in the car with me and they were slightly injured, I also went to the emergency room because I had pain in my chest so I got checked. Now the person in my car felt that I had insurance an that perhaps there medical bill may be paid too but after talking to my insurance company they said no that the family members car i was driving is not going to be covered. What happens if the people's car I got in an accident with decide that my repayment offer is not going to satisfy them I know that they will be happy for anything from me since they had liability and there insurance said they would not help them. Also what about the medical bill since the insurance is not going to cover anything which at first thought they would and would have been nice. Overall there were attempts of calling the police but they never showed up to the accident and than later i feel that there was some type of report put together and have since been resolveing the matter or trying through the insurance company's and person in the other car. Will the other car's insurance company bill me for repairs even though they only had liability and there insurance company cannot cover them, the medical bill since the car i was driving had no insurance and i will get no coverage doesnt a person who committed to get into your car for instance have to pay there own bill???? some feedback will be nice.. thanks and be careful

ecmst12

Your post is confusing. You rear ended someone else while driving a family member's car? And you only have liability coverage. That means your insurance should cover the damages (medical and property) of the person you hit. But not you and not your family member's car. You will have to pay to get your family member's car fixed yourself since the damages were your fault. If you have health insurance, you can use that to pay your medical bills.

Do you live with the person whose car you were driving? That's the only reason I can think of that your liability insurance wouldn't cover you while driving someone else's car. Have you reported the accident to your insurance company?

moburkes

Your post is confusing. You rear ended someone else while driving a family member's car? And you only have liability coverage. That means your insurance should cover the damages (medical and property) of the person you hit. But not you and not your family member's car. You will have to pay to get your family member's car fixed yourself since the damages were your fault. If you have health insurance, you can use that to pay your medical bills.

Do you live with the person whose car you were driving? That's the only reason I can think of that your liability insurance wouldn't cover you while driving someone else's car. Have you reported the accident to your insurance company?
If its a cheapy insurance company, it won't transfer. If the vehicle was owned by a household member, it won't transfer. But, the post is very confusing, especially since OP seemed to get more and more frazzled as s/he continued to write, as evidenced by the bad grammar and lack of punctuaction.

wg34

i had liablity on my own car which i was not driving. the family members car was not worth fixing. i dont have medical insurance. i live with the person so my insurance company said thats a reason they will not help out.

ecmst12

Ok. Then you're stuck paying the other driver's bills out of your pocket, and your medical bills.

For the future, you should make sure all cars owned by people in your household that you might possibly drive at any point are on your insurance, and you should consider adding medical payments coverage as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">