• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance refuses to pay Medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mudbuck

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was rear ended in which I had 3 disc's removed and fused in my neck.
At the beggining I did not have anything out of the ordinary wrong with my back.
In fact, I have had lower back issues for years. Shortly after the accident, I was having siatica pains. But still I was not having it treated because it was still a pain that I recieved every now and then. What I did not realize was that the pain was the sign of a serious problem arising. Eventually my disc ruptured leaving me to have emergency surgery. One year prior to the accident, I had an MRI done in which the Dr. who ordered it said my problem was minor. I also had my current surgen take a look at the films and his comment was "No way would you be considered for surgery for this". Now, one year later (shortly before the accident) I was not having problems. After the accident was when I started with the new siatica pain. My insurance company however is refusing to pay for the lumbar surgery because of prior back issues and they claim it has nothing to do with the accident.
I sent my doctor a letter along with the prior MRI and asked him if he could determin if the accident had ultimately caused the rupture. If so, would he write my insurance co. and give them his opinion. Im not sure if this would help, but it's the only thing I could think of. They are laying me with a heafty bill that I feel is caused by the accident. I am left with permenant nerve damage to my leg and if they keep refusing to pay, I will have to live in cronic pain until I have cash to pay for the pain managment my surgen is suggesting.
If my only recourse is the courts, my problem is that Im not suing to get $$$ for myself but to pay medical bills off. I'm pretty sure that leaves a case on contingincy (sp) out of the question. I also have a few things they owe me for but no where near what a lawer would want for this case from me. I think thats why my prior lawer told me to persue things on my own so I wouldn't have to give them a fee. There just wasn't the money in it for him. How is someone like me, with no money nor current job, supposed to be able to fight for their rights? How can I sue to get them to pay? Is there anything that protects someone against these big companies who decide to play doctor for you? Please, help. I am in constant pain and have no clue what to do. Thank you.

mudbuck said:
Can anyone advise me what so ever? :confused:
You need to hire an attorney to correspond with your insurance carrier. They obviously aren't listening to you. Another tactic you could try is writing a letter to your state insurance commissioner and cc'ing your agent and/or current carrier. That should get their attention if you don't want to go the legal route. Personally, I'd hire an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">