• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance settled, still sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dragonlady5521

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Arizona

My son, 23, was driving my car last March. My insurance covers any and all authorized drivers. He had a head on collision on a Tues. The other driver was found to be at fault. The following week, while taking the car for damage estimates, the brakes locked and he rear ended a woman.

My insurance company combined both claims, declared my car a total loss and settled with both drivers.

Today we received a summons notifying us of a court date 2-weeks from now. The woman from the second accident is sueing.

Can we still be sued even after the insurance company settled and closed the case? I have limits of $100K and have not been notifed that any claims have exceeded these limits.

stephenk

it sounds like the other driver settled her property damage claim with your carrier and is now making a personal injury claim.

Is this small claims court? if yes, notify your carrier immediately so they can assist you in the small claims hearing.

D

dragonlady5521

No, it's not small claims. The order is from the Superior Court of Maracopa County.

I can't reach my insurance company until Monday, but I'll call then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">