• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance on Stolen Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

goldrain

Hello: I hope someone can help me. I bought a car for my daughter to use for college and work but left it in my name so she could be covered under my insurance as the driver. She recently had the car stolen and reported it to the police and my insurance company. The car is not covered under theft because we only had liability on it. I would like to know if I am responsible for whatever the theives may do in my car? If they have an accident or hurt someone in the car, being has it is in my name, will I still be responsible? My daughter needs another car but we can't afford to keep insurance on two cars for her. Can I cancel the insurance on the stolen car? Could I still be held responsible for the damage done with the stolen car? I appreciate any help I can get here as the insurance companies and the police do not have an answer for me. I live in Kentucky.
Goldrain

[Edited by goldrain on 11-12-2000 at 03:27 AM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You said that your daughter "had the car stolen". Why would she steal her own car?

Okay, I understand what you meant. Just playing with you.

Anyway, as long as you've reported the matter to the police and have a "theft report" in your posession, you are off the hook from a legal standpoint. You can cancel the insurance on that car.

IAAL

G

goldrain

goldrain said:
Hello: I hope someone can help me. I bought a car for my daughter to use for college and work but left it in my name so she could be covered under my insurance as the driver. She recently had the car stolen and reported it to the police and my insurance company. The car is not covered under theft because we only had liability on it. I would like to know if I am responsible for whatever the theives may do in my car? If they have an accident or hurt someone in the car, being has it is in my name, will I still be responsible? My daughter needs another car but we can't afford to keep insurance on two cars for her. Can I cancel the insurance on the stolen car? Could I still be held responsible for the damage done with the stolen car? I appreciate any help I can get here as the insurance companies and the police do not have an answer for me. I live in Kentucky.
Goldrain

[Edited by goldrain on 11-12-2000 at 03:27 AM]
Thank you so much for the information Iam Always Liable! The insurance will be canceled first thing Monday morning.
Goldrain

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">