• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Switching After Accident - WA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lenpen

What is the name of your state?I live in Washington. This concerns an automobile accident that took place in British Columbia, Canada. My daughter got into a car acident two years ago. It took place in an intersection and the insurance companies (the other driver and my daughter's) agreed to disagree and claim no fault. Each driver's insurance paid their own damages (under $2,500 - it was a very low speed crash). A year later, the passenger in the other car showed up with a personal injury lawsuit against the other driver and her insurance plus my daughter and her insurance. My duaghter's insurance company has hired its own lawyer to represent her in the legal proceedings which will take place in Canada. They are proceeding with the process that they say could take up to two years to resolve. In the meantime, the insurance company that covers my daughter (and my wife and I) has rates that are going through the roof. We have quotes with a different insuramce company that will be far less.

Is there any danger or concern in switching to a different insuramce company while this law case is taking place? For instamce, could the current insurance company decide not to pay if she's no longer a customer? What's the situation here? Please help...

abaga

lenpen said:
What is the name of your state?I live in Washington. This concerns an automobile accident that took place in British Columbia, Canada. My daughter got into a car acident two years ago. It took place in an intersection and the insurance companies (the other driver and my daughter's) agreed to disagree and claim no fault. Each driver's insurance paid their own damages (under $2,500 - it was a very low speed crash). A year later, the passenger in the other car showed up with a personal injury lawsuit against the other driver and her insurance plus my daughter and her insurance. My duaghter's insurance company has hired its own lawyer to represent her in the legal proceedings which will take place in Canada. They are proceeding with the process that they say could take up to two years to resolve. In the meantime, the insurance company that covers my daughter (and my wife and I) has rates that are going through the roof. We have quotes with a different insuramce company that will be far less.

Is there any danger or concern in switching to a different insuramce company while this law case is taking place? For instamce, could the current insurance company decide not to pay if she's no longer a customer? What's the situation here? Please help...

This forum only answers questions pertaining to US LAW. Your Daughter needs to consult with someone in Canada.

lenpen

You Missed The Point

abaga. I live in Washington State. My daughter's insurance agency is in Washington State. It is a US Insurance agency. This question concerns my coverage in the United States. Please reply regarding coverage by a US Insurance company (I wish to keep annonomous) in the United States.

stephenk

Go ahead and switch carriers if you can get a lower price for the same coverage. Does your new carrier know about your daughter's accident?

Your current carrier will continue to represent your daughter and provide coverage for the loss even if she changes to another carrier.

abaga

lenpen said:
abaga. I live in Washington State. My daughter's insurance agency is in Washington State. It is a US Insurance agency. This question concerns my coverage in the United States. Please reply regarding coverage by a US Insurance company (I wish to keep annonomous) in the United States.
It was not stated in your post that you had insurance in Washington State. You said you lived there, but your daughter lives in Canada and the accident occured in Canada.

You can switch carriers, but they need to know about the accident..more than likely it will show up on the MVR. If it doesn't, and you don't tell them, but they find out somehow, you will be cancelled. If the app asks about previous incidents, you need to be honest about everything.

stephenk

the new carrier won't cancel them because of the unreported accident history. However, the premium rates will go up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">