• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance went up-failure to appear for stop sign violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyeighty

Hi, this is in North Carolina.

I got a stop sign ticket. I sent my payment in to the wrong address! Typo on my part. By the time I got the notice and sent the payment in again, they had given me a failure to appear and suspended my license.

I paid the fees to get my license reinstated, but now a suspension (SUSP 50) shows up on my driving record and the insurance company is raising my rate by almost $1,000.

Is there some way to get this removed from my driving record? It seems to me that sending my payment in to the wrong place is a far cry from drunk driving or driving with a suspended license, so why should I be punished so severely with my insurance?

I've gotten quotes from other insurance companies and they are all expensive! I called the county courthouse and didn't get anywhere. Called the DMV and didn't get anywhere.What is the name of your state?

moburkes

I got a stop sign ticket. I sent my payment in to the wrong address! Typo on my part. By the time I got the notice and sent the payment in again, they had given me a failure to appear and suspended my license.

I paid the fees to get my license reinstated, but now a suspension (SUSP 50) shows up on my driving record and the insurance company is raising my rate by almost $1,000.

Is there some way to get this removed from my driving record? It seems to me that sending my payment in to the wrong place is a far cry from drunk driving or driving with a suspended license, so why should I be punished so severely with my insurance?

I've gotten quotes from other insurance companies and they are all expensive! I called the county courthouse and didn't get anywhere. Called the DMV and didn't get anywhere.What is the name of your state?
No. It won't be removed from your records. You didn't notice when the check wasn't cashed?

offthahorseceo

pull your driving record. i used to work for nationwide and failure to appear does not cause an increase, license suspension does not cause an increase unless the license is still suspended when you go to get the policy. if anything what they should have done is require to add a driver to the policy who has an active license. they MAY have taken the liberty of doing that for you (if the driver was already in the household, son wife daughter etc) and the other driver may have had accidents or violations or may have been inexperienced.

however if i recall correctly a stop sign violation is 1 point. and mailing the payment for the stop sign violation is basically pleading guilty to the charge of running a stop sign.

if the court still has not received a payment call the courthouse again and ask to speak to the DISTRICT ATTORNEY. once you get on the line with him or her explain your situation and ask wether you can have a new court date or an opportunity to pay the matter off again. if your record is not very very bad and you dont hav a tendency to miss court they should be willing to oblige. go to court or paythe fine, get a new record printout from the courthouse after all that is said and done take it back to your insurance compnay and ask them to either remove the points (if you somehow manage to get it dismissed or are found not guilty) or correct the change in premium (if they are in fact overcharging you.

btw 1 point can have a large effect on a multi vehicle policy, especially if you had other charges that were reduced, for example if within 3 years you had a speeding charge that was reduced to less than 9 over in a 65 or higher zone it would not affect you initially because it is less than 9 0ver. however once yu get another ticket or accident for a chargeable violation then that reduced speeding charge is worth 2 points. so in your situation if that was the case it would put you at a total of 3 points which can easily raise the premium by 1000

moburkes

No, the failure to appear does not. But, the stop sign and the suspension do. Its a stupid idea to add someone to the policy that doesn't drive the vehicles, and may not even live in the HH. Stupid policy by your insurance company.

Did you really tell him to contact the DA about a stop sign ticket?

offthahorseceo

No, the failure to appear does not. But, the stop sign and the suspension do. Its a stupid idea to add someone to the policy that doesn't drive the vehicles, and may not even live in the HH. Stupid policy by your insurance company.

Did you really tell him to contact the DA about a stop sign ticket?
yes i did, not about the stop sign ticket but about the "failure to appear", since it was a misunderstanding. anyone i know who ever missed a court date went thru the DA to resolve the issue.

i never said the driver was not in the household, and as a matter of fact i mentioned household drivers in the post.

moburkes

yes i did, not about the stop sign ticket but about the "failure to appear", since it was a misunderstanding. anyone i know who ever missed a court date went thru the DA to resolve the issue.

i never said the driver was not in the household, and as a matter of fact i mentioned household drivers in the post.
You gave a poor example. After freelook, an insurance company cannot make any changes to a policy, including adding ANYONE to a policy, regardless of where they live.

crazyeighty

No. It won't be removed from your records. You didn't notice when the check wasn't cashed?
No.. for one thing it was a money order, and I guess I just had the attitude that I wanted to get it over and done with.. maybe next time I'll consult a lawyer now that I know better. But at that time, I didn't want to think about it.. you know, busy with work, family, all that stuff.

I think also I may have mislead people about my insurance agency. I currently have Allstate and the price did NOT go up. The local agent said if I changed anything on my policy..coverages, added a driver, changed address, etc. then they would re-calculate everything and it WOULD go up. So I guess right now it is not going up, the only problem is I am moving soon from NC to SC, and that will make the rate go up. From my understanding, I could sit here until the suspension isn't counted (3 years?) and my insurance rate will be unchanged...?

Thanks so far for the advise.

offthahorseceo

sorry to contradict but youre wrong, and thats almost ludicrous. if that was true then cars could no longer be added, coverage changes could no longer be made nor could address changes.

ive seen many cases in which a policy holder reports a claim in which the policy holder was not driving the vehicle, the actual driver was NOT a named insured. an investigation would be conducted and if the person was found to have regular and frequent access to the vehicle then they would be added to the policy, uness they were a named insured on another policy

moburkes

No.. for one thing it was a money order, and I guess I just had the attitude that I wanted to get it over and done with.. maybe next time I'll consult a lawyer now that I know better. But at that time, I didn't want to think about it.. you know, busy with work, family, all that stuff.

I think also I may have mislead people about my insurance agency. I currently have Allstate and the price did NOT go up. The local agent said if I changed anything on my policy..coverages, added a driver, changed address, etc. then they would re-calculate everything and it WOULD go up. So I guess right now it is not going up, the only problem is I am moving soon from NC to SC, and that will make the rate go up. From my understanding, I could sit here until the suspension isn't counted (3 years?) and my insurance rate will be unchanged...?

No, it would reflect the new information at renewal.

offthahorseceo

i dont know how allstate works but with nationwide if an underwriter decides to review your policy at renewal and there is a chargeable offense or accident on there it will increase, in other words, lets say your policy renews today, two weeks from now you get a dui, 12 points, your rates would not increase until renewal which would be 11/29/2007 at which point youd be charged 12 points

moburkes

sorry to contradict but youre wrong, and thats almost ludicrous. if that was true then cars could no longer be added, coverage changes could no longer be made nor could address changes.

ive seen many cases in which a policy holder reports a claim in which the policy holder was not driving the vehicle, the actual driver was NOT a named insured. an investigation would be conducted and if the person was found to have regular and frequent access to the vehicle then they would be added to the policy, uness they were a named insured on another policy
Nope, those are customer initiated changes, not changes by the insurance company.

You're lucky none of those resulted in department of insuran complaints. I wouldn't have wanted to see those cross my desk.

offthahorseceo

Nope, those are customer initiated changes, not changes by the insurance company.

You're lucky none of those resulted in department of insuran complaints. I wouldn't have wanted to see those cross my desk.
there have also been cases in which a ph has had very frequent comp claims and gets a deductible increase. happens all the time, didnt know there was anything wrong with that. the customer is notified with plenty of time to respond

moburkes

there have also been cases in which a ph has had very frequent comp claims and gets a deductible increase. happens all the time, didnt know there was anything wrong with that. the customer is notified with plenty of time to respond
Increasing their deductible, which lowers their premium, is different, AND, when they give them the opportunity to respond, but don't, they are agreeing to the change. The customer realizes that if they don't agree, the policy will probably be nonrenewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">