• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insured and coming after me for MORE money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hey guys over 3 years ago when i was 17 years old i was involved in an auto accident that was my fault......i was under the impression that my insurance took care of everything.....3 years later i have recieved a letter from the los angeles supreme court saying that my father, my mother and i are being sued by the insurance company of the person i was involved in the accident with for just over $10,000. The coverage i had was 5, 15, 30....My guess is that i did about $15000 in damage. Anyone have any advice on what route to take?? Can the court go after both myself and my parents?? Any additional and helpful info would be greatly appreciated....

racer72

Turn everything over the insurance company you were with at the time. They are obligated to provide legal council for things such as this.

racer72 said:
Turn everything over the insurance company you were with at the time. They are obligated to provide legal council for things such as this.
thanks, that was my first thought...but i wasn't sure if they would just tell me to **** off....

stephenk

what is the name of the carrier suing you and what is the name of the carrier you had at the time of the accident?

stephenk said:
what is the name of the carrier suing you and what is the name of the carrier you had at the time of the accident?
I am being sued by safeway and my company at the time was "American International Insurance CO of California"

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
phatbashar said:
Hey guys over 3 years ago when i was 17 years old i was involved in an auto accident that was my fault......i was under the impression that my insurance took care of everything.....3 years later i have recieved a letter from the los angeles supreme court saying that my father, my mother and i are being sued by the insurance company of the person i was involved in the accident with for just over $10,000. The coverage i had was 5, 15, 30....My guess is that i did about $15000 in damage. Anyone have any advice on what route to take?? Can the court go after both myself and my parents?? Any additional and helpful info would be greatly appreciated....
In answer to your questions:
The court isn't going after anyone. the other party CAN sue both you and your parents because you were a minor at a time and your parents are liable for your actions. Listen to what everyone else said about turning the stuff over to your insurance at the time.

stephenk

the only reason the parents are being sued is that they had to have been the registered owners of the car he was driving.

stephenk said:
the only reason the parents are being sued is that they had to have been the registered owners of the car he was driving.
Nope, i was the owner......im guessing they are being sued is becuase i was under 18 at the time of the accident

rmet4nzkx

If you were 17 at the time the car could not be registered in your name and the insurance would have to have been in their names also, even if you "paid" for the car and your share of the insurance and yes because you were a minor. If you didn't have enough coverage you and your parents can be sued for what exceeds the coverage. You need to contact your insurance company you had at that time.

rmet4nzkx said:
If you were 17 at the time the car could not be registered in your name and the insurance would have to have been in their names also, even if you "paid" for the car and your share of the insurance and yes because you were a minor. If you didn't have enough coverage you and your parents can be sued for what exceeds the coverage. You need to contact your insurance company you had at that time.
pinkslip and registration were in my name....i signed the pinkslip when i boguht it and when i sold it, no where on any documentation regarding the car was either of my parents names....i believe in CA if you have a license you can have a car in your name....i may be wrong you guys are the lawyers.

stephenk

you can be a minor and own a car in California.

Your carrier will be able to get the lawsuit dismissed against your parents since they were not owners of the car you were driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">