• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insured or not insured?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

soupman

No one hurt, auto damaged, rock 'n a hardplace

Minnesota, 8:15 I was rear ended, resulting in minor to no damage to the car in front of me, no injuries were incurred however $4,200 in damage was to my car. The person that rear ended me has full coverage, I have no coverage however at least liability is required by law. No police report was issued at the site and no eyewitnesses were present except for the person that I was pushed into. I had liability coverage put on my car at 8:35, 20 minutes after the accident.
What risks to I run criminally? If no documentation supports the time of the accident, is there any way for them to prove that I was uninsured? And ultimately, since the person that hit me was really 100% at fault (admittedly)is there any reason that my insurance company will or should even find out since there were no injuries and only property damage, since my coverage would only be injury protection anyway?

Finally, if my insurance company is contacted by the other persons insurance company and the time of the accident is discussed revealing my under insured status, can the government authorities come after me or do they have to catch me in the act? And, could the other persons insurance company come after me and sue me for not having coverage if they find out?

What if I say the accident happened at 8:45, could I be criminally charged with anything?

Should I get a lawyer?

Thank you in advance for any advice that you can give me.

Rock'n a Hard Place.

[Edited by soupman on 03-05-2001 at 04:55 PM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

So, basically what you're asking is, "How can you help me to carry on, and continue with, my plan for insurance fraud?"

I don't think so. Insurance fraud is extremely serious business. Not only is it a Civil wrong, but also a Criminal wrong. We don't, and you shouldn't, get involved in that.

You'd be better off to keep yourself out of trouble by obtaining assistance of counsel.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">