• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International Lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kiwao

I am a former Virginia resident (currently living in Yokohama, Japan), and was recently informed by my ex-auto-insurance company in Virginia that I might possibly be sued by the person whom I injured in a car accident happened two and a half years ago in the State of Virginia over the matter of injury compensation. Since I had a liability insurance of this company at the time of the accident, I believe this insurance company can assist me in the event of lawsuit taking place.

But I am wondering how such a lawsuit will process across the ocean. What kind of things should I prepare for that? In case the other party's attorney eventually files a lawsuit against me and sends me the summons over to Japan with an answering-period requirement, what if I receive it later than the answering deadline? Will a default judgment be the case?

I would really appreciate if anyone could answer my question. Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">