• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

invasion of privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1w0r1D

I had a landscaper do some work around my house. A dispute arose and we are currently involved in litigation. Since then, the landscaper has published photos of my house and address on the company web site as examples of his work and refuses to remove them from his site. I am a very private person and do not want the pictures on the site. I don't even want to begin to describe how it makes my stomach turn to know that someone might think that I am endorsing this guy. My lawyer says that there is nothing we can do. He says that since there is no actual injury, there is nothing I can do. Is he right? Doesn't my privacy matter to the courts? Don't my hurt feelings and frustration count as an injury?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

1w0r1D said:
I had a landscaper do some work around my house. A dispute arose and we are currently involved in litigation. Since then, the landscaper has published photos of my house and address on the company web site as examples of his work and refuses to remove them from his site. I am a very private person and do not want the pictures on the site. I don't even want to begin to describe how it makes my stomach turn to know that someone might think that I am endorsing this guy. My lawyer says that there is nothing we can do. He says that since there is no actual injury, there is nothing I can do. Is he right? Doesn't my privacy matter to the courts? Don't my hurt feelings and frustration count as an injury?

My response:

Your attorney is correct, and your hurt feelings are not compensable. A picture of a house, on an Internet site does not amount to an invasion of privacy.

IAAL

1w0r1D

Thanks for the information...even if it was not what I wanted to hear.

It still seems to me that there must be some legal reason why he can't put pictures of my house, its address, and (oops I forgot mention) my name on the site. It seems that at the very least, this is misleading or deceptive to the extent that it might imply some association or affiliation with or even approval from me when there is none.

As far as my privacy goes, why isn't using my name for his benefit constitute an invasion of privacy. Put in another context, could a grocery store print up fliers with my name across the top in an attempt to attract more customers? It just doesn't seem fair.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

1w0r1D said:
Thanks for the information...even if it was not what I wanted to hear.

It still seems to me that there must be some legal reason why he can't put pictures of my house, its address, and (oops I forgot mention) my name on the site. It seems that at the very least, this is misleading or deceptive to the extent that it might imply some association or affiliation with or even approval from me when there is none.

As far as my privacy goes, why isn't using my name for his benefit constitute an invasion of privacy. Put in another context, could a grocery store print up fliers with my name across the top in an attempt to attract more customers? It just doesn't seem fair.

My response:

It's unfortunate that you never mentioned your State name, as is requested in the RED words at the top of this page. Also, it's further unfortunate that you hadn't mentioned, up to your latest post, the unauthorized use of your name.

You see, in California for example, there are laws against the unauthorized use of a person's name or likeless for purposes of advertisement.

So, you see, it's really important that instructions are followed.

Oh well.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">