• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involved in Accident!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deena_sulakhe

What is the name of your state? IL

I was driving to Chicago and was on the skyway. It was a downhill when the car infront of me suddenly stopped. I was atleast 2 cars distance away, but when i applied my brakes, my car started skidding (there was a snow+rain that day) and was not stopping. I tried to go into the other lane but my wheels were locked ( because of skidding i guess). So my car went and hit the car ahead. There was no serious damage to the other car, but he was claiming he might have to spend 500 bucks on this. Unfortunately there was traffic police just at that site giving a speeding ticket to someone else. So he got involved in this and took us to the nearest police station. Without asking me anything, the police gave me 2 tickets, one for speeding (i was about 45/45, not speeding at all) and one for following too close (i was atleast 2 cars distance away). He also kept my Licence and has fixed a court date on 18th Feb. So i will driving on the tickets till then.

I am clueless as to what is going to happen on the court hearing date?? I am arranging to pay the other party the amount he is claiming.

Was this such a serious offence that the police retained my Licence or is it a usual procedure in case of accidents?

What should i do in the court? Plead guilty or/and explain the situation to Judge?

I know, whatever reasons, i should have brought my car in control, but still i don't think it was out of my careless driving. It could have happened with anyone under the given weather conditions.

Please advise me..

(i was about 45/45, not speeding at all)
Because it was snowy and rainy your speed may have needed to be lower than the posted speed limit.. this may also be said for how close you were following. Did this happen close to where the officer was parked?

deena_sulakhe

tabathadolley said:
Because it was snowy and rainy your speed may have needed to be lower than the posted speed limit.. this may also be said for how close you were following. Did this happen close to where the officer was parked?

Yes, it was very close to where the officer was parked. i understand that i should have been lower than the speed limit, but then i was just moving with the traffic. :eek:

ShyCat

Two car lengths at 45 mph? You were following way too close. The old rule of thumb was at least one car length per 10 mph, which would mean 5 car lengths for 45 mph. But most state laws now use a minimum 2 second rule which, if I remember correctly, would equate more to 18 car lengths instead of 10 for 60 mph. And safety experts suggest 3 seconds, and in inclement weather, 4 seconds.

Lynx 36

Quote: "I am clueless as to what is going to happen on the court hearing date?? I am arranging to pay the other party the amount he is claiming.

Did you have insurance? If you do bring proof of that. If you don't the judge will likely order a mediation hearing to settle the property damage on the other car.

Quote: "Was this such a serious offence that the police retained my Licence or is it a usual procedure in case of accidents?"

Seems unusual to me, but the laws vary from state to state.

Quote: "What should i do in the court? Plead guilty or/and explain the situation to Judge?"

If you were not speeding or following too close then by all means plead not guilty. Explain the bad weather to the judge. Sounds like you can at least get out of the speeding ticket. The following too close may be tough to beat as you r/ended someone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">