• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I've been hit, how can they blame me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? virginia

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me. I was coming off the ramp behind the other driver who didn't seem as though he knew where he was going. As I got off the ramp behind him in the right lane I immediately got into the left lane to go around him. That's when he made a u-turn in front of me. The police came out and gave him the ticket but subpoened me to court as well as my witness. To make a long story short the officer said that it was both our fault because I supposedly sped around him. My qustion is if the speed limit is 45mph and we just got off the ramp going no more than 20mph when it happened, am I wrong for getting in the left hand lane to pass him even though we weren't even past or near the speed limit for that matter.
My second question is I got subpoened for court on a day I have a test in my docotrates program. The court date is the 12th and the ocurt tod me to call back the 13th to get it reschedled. How can that work if it's the day after the case? What if the guy shows up and I'm not there, will the charges be dropped against him or will I be in trouble for not showing up?

Thanks

JETX

member said:
As I got off the ramp behind him in the right lane I immediately got into the left lane to go around him.
Is there a SEPARATE second lane there, or only ONE lane.

That's when he made a u-turn in front of me.
He made a u-turn on on off-ramp???

To make a long story short the officer said that it was both our fault because I supposedly sped around him.
Who cares??? As long as you didn't receive a citation.....

My second question is I got subpoened for court on a day I have a test in my docotrates program. The court date is the 12th and the ocurt tod me to call back the 13th to get it reschedled. How can that work if it's the day after the case?
So, call the court and ask.

What if the guy shows up and I'm not there, will the charges be dropped against him or will I be in trouble for not showing up?
You would be in 'trouble' for failing to appear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">