• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On the job @ fault vehicle accident, non-company truck, liability Ins only.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AltonVague

What is the name of your state? California.

On July 14th I was returning to work after making a delivery to a customer. I was trying to enter a freeway from a two-way n/s overpass. I had to cross the SB lane. A Suburban traveling south cut me off. I tried to miss them & stay on the road, almost heading into the SB lane I lock up my brakes, go over a rounded curb (like a small speed bump) with a 2ft dirt ledge. When my front tires go over the ledge it drags the rest of MY very light '99 S-10.
I slid down the far side of the onramp @ ~60deg ~120ft. I almost made it straight into a phone pole but a concrete creek 4' wide x4' deep stoped me. At the angle my truck went in the left front fell into the gap, tire & all. I was lifted out of my seat & landed hard when I came back down & hurt my back.My airbags didn't even deploy. I ended up with a sprained back & was out of work for the rest of the week. Though I think my back is more than sprained. The worker comp docter had me in & out in 10min flat.
Anyway I have only Liability Ins on my truck. The police report said it was my fault for "Not yielding to oncoming traffic." I was making a mandatory delivery to a customer while on the clock. Our company did not have a "company" car/truck or any other vehicle other than mine. My Companies Ins said their policy only covered company owned vehicles & not employee owned. But get this, If I rent a vehicle & trash it they will cover it. So in the end they would not pay for damage to my truck.
So I thought I could turn to our CEO & ask if they would at least help.
The company is still private & is doing well. I know their cost margin.
With the shipment I made, I could by 2-3 Austin Martins a day.
I worked there for almost 3yrs & my manager was the only other one who put in as much OT as I did for them. But alas Loyalty seems to run one way.
He turned me down, saying that it was my choice to not have full coverage.
Easy for a man that literally has a car for every day of the week.
Esclade, Rolls Royce, T-bird, Mercedes, Suburban, Harley, just to name a few.
Im Hourly, he's Salary that's it.
So the Question is am I stuck with the bill?? What is my recourse?? Does Worker Comp cover this??
TIA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">