• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement for medical bill (insurance never paid)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tjc74

What is the name of your state? PA

I was in a MVA back in 2000 in which I was the passenger and I broke both feet. My brother inlaw was driving and he only had $15,000 worth of coverage, I lived with my father at the time and did not have insurance. So we made a claim to his underinsured motorist coverage.

We settled on the first claim for the $15,000, although I still have medical bills that were never paid. One of these bills has went to collections and I now have a Judgement on my credit. Now we are about to settle on the second claim in Dec. and I would rather not spend my settlement check on medical bills.

Can they even file a Judgement if both cases have not even went to (settlement Dec 10) yet.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tjc74 said:
I would rather not spend my settlement check on medical bills.

My response:

Really?

The hospital, doctors, and nurses, along with their supplies and training, "fix you up", and you don't want to pay for the services that mended you?

Boy, do you have a lot of growing up to do!

IAAL

tjc74

You obviously misunderstood my post. I most certainly plan on paying the medical expences. But would rather not pay it out of my pain and suffering. And further more PIP coverage should have paid for those expenses.....

This is was the question.....

Can they even file a Judgement if both cases have not even went to (settlement) yet.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tjc74 said:
You obviously misunderstood my post. I most certainly plan on paying the medical expences. But would rather not pay it out of my pain and suffering

My response:

I understood you quite well. You said:

"I would rather not spend my settlement check on medical bills." (underlining added) That's exactly what you said.

What was there to "misunderstand" about that?

Now, if what you intended to say, and what you actually wrote, are two different things, then YOU'RE THE ONE who caused any confusion, or the "misunderstanding".

It doesn't matter from what "pot" you pay the bills. Money is fungible. So, no matter how you slice it, you'll eventually be paying - - either voluntarily or by way of attachment.

Oh, and since it is obvious that you didn't sign a medical lien form, then the medical providers are under no obligation to "wait" for their money; e.g., wait for your claims to be concluded. They are free to go after you any time they please.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">