• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement over liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perskter

My son was involved in a minor accident in 2003 when he was 17. He rear ended a woman who stopped suddenly. The damage to her vehicle was a dent in the bumper. She claimed whiplash and back injury. The insurance company did not want to pay all the bills she submitted. She continued to seek additional treatment, and also claimed post traumatic stress disorder (this one started about 1 year after the accident), and degenerative disk disease (starting about 1 1/2 years after the accident). Because the claim was not paid, she sued my son. This is a 100/300 liability policy. She never submitted $100,000 in claims. The jury awarded her $400,000 for the fender bender in which neither air bag went off. Is my now 20 year old son responsible for paying $300,000? This is so devastating that it is still feels unreal. He was told by the insurance company's lawyer (they represented him in court) that he could claim bankruptcy! I feel that the insurance company is negligent in not paying the submitted claims and forcing us to endure a trial (which ended in mistrial twice before) and now be responsible for what the policy was supposed to cover! The verdict just happened Friday, so I am still very upset and unsure what to do. This happened in Missouri.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">