• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just got a citation for speeding and tailgating in NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bgarabian

I'm a NC resident.

I just got a ticket for speeding (85 in a 65) on I-40 in North Carolina. On top of that he also cited me for tailgating. I got a ticket and a court date that that states that I must appear in District Court--the state trooper didn't even include a fine on the ticket. I plan to get a laywer but I'm nervous about what will happen to me. This is my 2nd speeding offense, my first one was for 89 in a 65, but it was reduce to 9 over the speed limit, 74 in a 65--I got that ticket in 2004. I got a warning last year and I got a ticket because I caused an accident. Does anyone know what I should expect when I go to court when I go? I've never been citated for tailgating before.

Is this a reckless ticket?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Fifteen over the speed limit or in excess of 80 mph is a more serious category of speeding ticket. It goes from a traffic citation to a class 2 misdemeanor. Jail time is possible but unlikely. There is however a mandatory 30 day license suspension. If this is your first time offender, the judge may issue a limitted permit (typically letting you go to work) at his discretion.

If you are from out of state, you can get file a waiver of appearance and have him handle it.

They don't bother to put a fine down because you can't prepay in lieu of appearing. I think the speeding tops out at $500 plus costs, but your lawyer will tell you. Also the DMV will probably charge you addition fees to clear the suspension (could run $50-100).

bgarabian

Unfortunely this is my 2nd offense thats why I am really worried about this particular ticket and my first ticket was for 89 in a 65...I've really gotta stay out of the 80's

Thanks for your help Ron.

ecmst12

If you drive a sports car, it may be time to trade it in for something a little less tempting to drive like a maniac in :)

bgarabian

::laughs:: What's funny is the thing I drive is nothing close to a sports car--so the question that comes up is what would happen if i did drive a sports car...lets not find out ;)

efflandt

Just curious if the vehicle you were tailgating also got a ticket, or were you tailgating an unmarked squad car?

BTW this is the accident forum, there is another for speeding tickets and other moving violations.

tammy8

Are you a NC resident?

The speeding ticket in 04 should not come into play; however the accident you had last year will depending on the damages paid out by your insurance company.

I am finding now that speeding like you were and tailgating is often resulting in a reckless driving conviction which in terms of points on your insurance will come into play. This is bad stuff. You need to slow down and drive defensely. I know there is a huge issue now with recklessly driving and road rage (basically the same thing in the eyes of the law and insurance). Slow down and realize that you will most likely be at the same spot as someone you recklessly past in a couple of miles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">