• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lady backed into my car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DM-NFL

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was stopped in traffic behind a car that backed up and hit my car causing damage to my bumper, lights and hood. The damage looks relatively minor, but will probably will estimate @ $2,000. There was no visible damage to the other vehicle, a Cadillac Escalade. My car is a 1988 Honda Prelude, Kelly Book valued at $5K retail, but less than $2k for private sale. No one was injured.

I got her name, address, phone, her husband's (a lawyer) car insurance account #. I had her sign a statement " Mrs._____ backed into right front bumper of 1988 Honda Prelude. Dated(today) 12/18/2002. She did not ask even for my name, but gave her information freely.

What should I do? I plan to buy a new car in a couple of months anyway, and the trade-in value is about $600. I offered to get a couple of estimates tomorrow and call her before in contact our common insurer, Statefarm. What does her insurance policy have to compensate me for? If they only have to give me the trade in value, I'm screwed because I had a new clutch installed yesterday for $629. Thanks for your help! Donna

P

ProResearch

Be sure to include the billing statement for the new clutch when you negotiate with the other driver's insurance company. It is true that they can offer whatever, but then you ask them how they arrived at that figure. You then go over the report they fax or send you snail mail and make notations of things they missed (condition of car, options, stuff like that).

By the way, who told you they only have to give you the trade-in value? You should get the 'fair market value' of your vehicle, which can be decided upon by a number of factors including local classified ads, calling a dealer and asking them, Blue Book, NADA or other.... all things are negotiable. Give them reasons to come up on the price. It's a two-way street when negotiating. At the point they stop negotiating is when you hire a lawyer if you think it is worth the time and extra money ~or~ you accept their best offer.

Let us know, k? :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">