• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lapse insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cbaez15

Hello
On March 1 2014 I got into a accident that I was at fault for. At the time I thought I had insurance because, I was under a policyholder which was my aunt. Her daughter was also under her, we would split the insurance by three. That Tuesday before the accident I actually gave her a check for my part and my cousin as well. Thinking that it was gonna get taken care of it because she the policyholder (she could only pay the policy) I was driving my car to work and so on. The insurance expired on Friday and I gave her a check on Tuesday. On Saturday I drove my car to work and back, I came home and my cousin wanted to hang out so I was leaving to go see her, I ran into my aunt and had a 20 min conversation, she didn't say nothing about the insurance lapsing, so I left and that same day I got into the accident. My insurance didn't take the claim and now his insurance is asking for 9500 dollars for a 1980 pick up truck... My question is can I sue the policyholder (aunt) for not telling me or not paying for the insurance on time. I feel she should be responsible for me going out that night. If I would of knew I wouldn't have risked it.

Gail in Georgia

Why is this your aunts fault? Even if she put the check in the mail the day after you gave it to her (Wednesday) it's unlikely it would have made it to the insurance company by the deadline on Friday.

Or, they could be other reasons why insurance isn't covering this...

Gail

davew128

Why is this your aunts fault? Even if she put the check in the mail the day after you gave it to her (Wednesday) it's unlikely it would have made it to the insurance company by the deadline on Friday.
You mean other than the fact its the aunt's policy and its HER responsibility to make sure its paid up?

RRevak

I'm confused about the dates: Were you late paying you and your cousins share? You gave the check tues, then the insurance lapsed fri, then the accident was sat? Am I correct?

Cbaez15

Or, they could be other reasons why insurance isn't covering this...

Gail
She always goes in person to renew the insurance. Our insurance used to be Direct general and there was a store 2 blocks from our house

Cbaez15

I'm confused about the dates: Were you late paying you and your cousins share? You gave the check tues, then the insurance lapsed fri, then the accident was sat? Am I correct?
Yes sir, she said it has to be renew by Friday, so me and cousin gave her check the same day she told us and that was on a Tuesday February 25, 2014

Cbaez15

You mean other than the fact its the aunt's policy and its HER responsibility to make sure its paid up?
We all paid up, all she had to do was renew it on time or even tell me that it lapsed so we wouldn't drive our cars and risk it.. I feel like that was really selfish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">