• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Late liability transfer accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

foofght

What is the name of your state? CA

Question: Who is liable?

On 6/30 our car was totaled by an uninsured, illegal immigrant who had bought the car from his girlfriend, who (at the accident) provided her still active insurance policy information to the cop. Their insurance ultimately denied payout because the car had apparently been sold earlier on.

DMV reports liability transfer mid June despite receiving the doc mid July. It seems fishy and likely that the original owner tried to get out of liability by sending the transfer of liabilty doc AFTER the accident. Why they kept their insurance policy running, i do not know.

foofght

Hi moburkes,

Thx for the response. I guess my question would be "who's liable" and "is it legal to transfer liability AFTER an accident?" Seems awfully convenient....

moburkes

Liability didn't change after the accident. The accident was not the fault of the girlfriend. The accident was the fault of the illegal driver.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">