• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawsuit for prior accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MidnightRun

What is the name of your state?
Texas

I was involved in a wreck Sept or so of last year. It was a 4 car wreck in which I got hit from behind, then I hit the car in front of me, and then that car hit the car in front of it. It was coming up to a busy stoplight. The truck behind me fled and I didn't get the plates. There was no damage to my car(actually I was driving my GF's) at all! None in back and none in front. I figured I would get screwed and be liable cause I was at the rear, and the truck behind me fled. Even worse was that the two girls in front of me acknowledged they say the truck drive off, but then changed their story once the officer came to take the report. My GF's insurance ended up denying their claim because the car was taken in, and they said they did find evidence that it was hit and it would be like a hit and run, so everyone files with their own insurance... I'm guessing from looking under the bumper cover they saw minor damage? I got a letter from the insurance right after saying they might try to sue me, and to contact the insurance if that happened.

Well, yesterday I think I found out I am being sued. The constable left a card on my door, and me and my father couldnt figure out why he'd come. He didn't leave an explanation or anything, just a business card. My dad called today and they said it was about that wreck.

I don't know what to do now. I know it wasn't my fault, but stuff like this worries me. Should I even be worried. Friends are telling me that I could be in for some trouble since there was no damage to my car exterior wise, but like I said, the insurance did look at it and say it was hit. I was actually surprise as to the fact that the rear or even front of the car did not get any damage.

What do you all think will happen? If you need more info, just let me know. I'm keeping this as short as possible even though it seems long already! Thank You!

M

MidnightRun

Ok, I just recieved the actual papers about the lawsuit. The car directly in front of me is sueing for $5000 in small claims court. I called the insurance agent and he said to fax him the papers I recieved. He said they will take care of it.

In a brief conversation, he said that her lawsuit is basically based on the opinion that I never got rear ended. He said he still has pictures of when the car was taken in for inspection in which they concluded I had indeed been rear ended, so everything should be fine.

The insurance agent said they have to prove that I was not rear ended, and that he does not think they can do that, especially with the evidence he has, however small it may be.

He said I may have to appear in court if it ever comes to it. If it does, and for some odd reason(the justice system is not perfect), the plantiff wins, will the insurance cover the settlement? Will this cause my rates to go up?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">