• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leased car hit while parked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kaya

State - CA. Hello, my brand new car (Mercedes.B E350 2006 less then 2 weeks old) was hit while parallel parked on the street. It was hit by driving school car while a student driver was operating a vehicle. A note was left for me with the insurance information etc. My questions are - 1. what should I do? I already filed a claim with my insurance and with insurance of a party that hit me, however since the car is a leased car I believe I might be hold responsible for damage done to a car at the end of a lease (it was hit very badly) 2. Is there any way to get out of that lease now? I am paying for a new car and it is damaged now. I will not be able to drive it for at least 3 weeks - but I still have to pay for it out of my pocket - (should not the other insurance be liable for it? ). What should I do? Should I get a lawyer to represent me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kaya

p.s. the car was parked at a designated location and the accident was not my fault.

seniorjudge

Kaya said:
State - CA. Hello, my brand new car (Mercedes.B E350 2006 less then 2 weeks old) was hit while parallel parked on the street. It was hit by driving school car while a student driver was operating a vehicle. A note was left for me with the insurance information etc. My questions are - 1. what should I do? I already filed a claim with my insurance and with insurance of a party that hit me, however since the car is a leased car I believe I might be hold responsible for damage done to a car at the end of a lease (it was hit very badly) 2. Is there any way to get out of that lease now? I am paying for a new car and it is damaged now. I will not be able to drive it for at least 3 weeks - but I still have to pay for it out of my pocket - (should not the other insurance be liable for it? ). What should I do? Should I get a lawyer to represent me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kaya

p.s. the car was parked at a designated location and the accident was not my fault.

File a police report also.

What does your insurance company tell you to do?

teflon_jones

Kaya said:
1. what should I do? I already filed a claim with my insurance and with insurance of a party that hit me, however since the car is a leased car I believe I might be hold responsible for damage done to a car at the end of a lease (it was hit very badly)
You've already done what you should do with the exception of filling out the accident report.

Kaya said:
2. Is there any way to get out of that lease now? I am paying for a new car and it is damaged now. I will not be able to drive it for at least 3 weeks - but I still have to pay for it out of my pocket -
No, you can't get out of your lease. You should be reimbursed for any out of pocket expenses by the other party.

Kaya said:
(should not the other insurance be liable for it? ).
They are. See above.

Kaya said:
Should I get a lawyer to represent me?
Why? :confused:

Kaya

seniorjudge said:
File a police report also.
I contacted the police immediately and was told that since the other party left their contact and insurance information I do not need to file a police report.

seniorjudge said:
What does your insurance company tell you to do?
nothing, just sit and wait, they will take care of everything.

Kaya

teflon_jones said:
You've already done what you should do with the exception of filling out the accident report.
I was told by the police that I do not need to do it, since the other party left a note with the contact information...

teflon_jones said:
No, you can't get out of your lease. You should be reimbursed for any out of pocket expenses by the other party.
should I notify the dealer about an accident?

teflon_jones

Kaya said:
I was told by the police that I do not need to do it, since the other party left a note with the contact information...
The police aren't always correct. File an accident report.

Kaya said:
should I notify the dealer about an accident?
Why? They have nothing to do with your car once you bought it and drive it off the lot.

Kaya

teflon_jones said:
The police aren't always correct. File an accident report..
can I download this form on line?

teflon_jones said:
Why? They have nothing to do with your car once you bought it and drive it off the lot.
the car is leased not bought...I thought that made a difference.. forgive me if I'm wrong .. I just don't want to get stuck with thousands of dollars in bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">