• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leased vehicle with technicality - dealership refused return. It's been 4.5 years.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Poopiedoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Florida

I obtained a leased car in January 2012 in state of Florida. After a couple of weeks, everyone became sick because of the air vent in the vehicle. I received a phone call from the dealership regarding re-signing paperwork because they provided the wrong type of paperwork the first time. At this time, I attempted to return the vehicle. The dealership refused the return. I made several attempts and called several times and the dealership still refused the return. I did not make any payments because this vehicle wasn't leased under my name and I had no intention of keeping it. Because of that, the dealership went ahead and filed an insurance claim on the vehicle and also ruined my credit. I've left the vehicle sitting out in my driveway the last 4.5 years. The dealership knows where I live and have only once made an attempt to take the vehicle but I wasn't home at the time and the vehicle was parked across the street. Is there any way to stake claim to this vehicle or at least charge for storage fees? Isn't the dealership committing fraud when they've refused the return, filed for insurance claim, and ruined my credit because of this technicality?

justalayman

So, what happened to the original lease? Did the lessor take title to The vehicle?

Under whose name was the vehicle leased and if not under your name, how would any of this affect your credit history?

Why would the dealership file an insurance claim?

Why would the car be across the street? That proves you have not simply left it set in your driveway for the last 4 1/2 years.

If the insurance company paid the dealership for the car, it is no longer theirs to repossess. It would belong to the insurance company that paid the dealer.

No you cannot charge storage fees.

How long was the lease for?

Did you make an initial payment (down payment for lack of a better term) and if so, were you refunded that money?

Did you ever register (plate) the vehicle?

Last edited:

justalayman

Regardless of all the complications, would it possible to locate the insurance company the dealership filed a claim for and return the vehicle with no issues? I don't care what's happened already, I just want to get rid of it.
What sort of claim was filed?

Are you certain the dealership filed a claim? When cars are leased the leasing agency (with new cars it's often a financial arm of the manufacturer) usually takes title to the vehicle.

You've not provided and substantive information as to the situation. It's not possible to guess what they might do in this situation.

You do realize a 4 1/2 year old car is worth a whole lot less than what the insurance company would have paid it's owner, right? Do you think they are just going to suck up that loss? While you may not care what's happened, somebody lost thousands of dollars on this deal. I suspect they won't be so willing to walk away from it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">