• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving scene

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

who_me3

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? IL

A friend is being accused of hitting a child on bike and leaving scene. She was turning left at an intersection without signs, stop lights, and the kid was crossing. she thought he fell off bike, did not think she hit him but the police went to her house lookng for her. This happened late afternoon today, is there a time limit that if she turns herself in she won't be charged for hit and run?

They also said the kid was in the hospital, anyway of finding out ?

She is also on probation for felony drug possession from 20 months ago, it is up in Dec. 2003. She unfortunatly relapsed todayand was using cocaine. Is her probation in jepordy, ie does she face prison time?

S

sdstrooper

She could face charges regardless of when she turns herself in, the accident happened and is over with. By turning herself in, however, the police may be more lenient than if they have to go out and arrest her. Violation of probation depends on the terms of probation. Most probation conditions include the part about not breaking the law during the term (so have her check it), so if charged / convicted, she would have broken probation. Her relapse is probably also a violation of probation.

W

who_me3

Thanks for your reply. I was mistaken about her relapsing... I misunderstoodher. She said "They will probably assume I relapsed"

I advised her to get an attorney and go to the station with him . Perhaps he would call ahead to find out if she will be charged a felony and would need bail money??? Also he could find out if the child really was hopsitalized. The officer that came to my home, was a real jerk... ( I have friends who are cops and as a rule respect them and appreciate their service) But this guy was unreal.... long story but threatened to arrrest me for not providing ID ( in my own home, but I had misplaced it and did not have it. Since when do I need ID for myself in my home????)
I gave my ss#, dob, former address, proviced bills, check book, none good enough, anyway....)

I got off point, I question whether the boy was really hositalized. My sister said that she stopped, the boy was startled and fell off his bike once he was past her car. She did not stop because she did not think she had too. But there were witnesses who got the lisence plate #. How much damage could a bike do to a car?? t is an older car, with dings anyway, but a fresh ding would show I have to think. I want to believe her.....

Again thanks!

W

who_me3

Yes she has insurance. She spoke with an attorney today, and the detectives in the case went to her residence to talk to her, but she told them she had been advised to remain silent until her attorney spoke with them. They were aware that she had rtetained him , he had called the plice station twice, and the detectives had not returned his call. They were apparently a tad "brusk" when she would not talk with them, and gave her the " don't worry... we will be back!!" I would assume they inspected her car since she parks in the driveway.

She should wait until she is formally charged before calling insurance company I would presume. Why feed them anything they don't need to know until it is a fact?

W

who_me3

Why feed them anything they don't need to know until it is a fact?"

Huh?
you suggested calling the insurance company.....

The only reason to call them would be because they would be responsible for any incurred medical costs and other incurrences to the boy......

IF my sister is found guilty. If she did not hit him as she states, and since her car does not have any damage on it....

Or am I missing something that is so apparent and my brain is in shut down??

The more I speak to her, the more it sounds as tho she did not hit him. He did ride in front of her, crossing the street without slowing down or looking, she was turning left, so was stopped waiting for a opening in order to turn and was not going at a fast rate, he stopped in front of her startled, tried to go again, had a hard time and fell when he reached the curb on the other side of the street. There is no apparent new dings on her car, it is an 96 model so there are some dents ( little) and no missing paint etc....
SHe has yet to really get what really happended, if the officer who was at my home looking for her really told me the truth... or was he exagerating, trying to intimidate and badger me which is what I am leaning towards.....He wa nasty enough to me that I am not having a very positive attitude towards police right now.... I am anxious to know the facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">