• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left-Hand Turn - Accident - Nervous

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

al91206

What is the name of your state? California

Ok - here's what happened:

1. 17 y/o driving a large SUV turned left in front of me - I hit her and her SUV turned on it's side
2. I was driving to the insurance appt (after a 2 week lapse of like 10 years of insurance)
3. So - I didn't have insurance (I have no excuse)
4. Police report says that it's her fault - numerous witnesses say that I had a green and she should not have gone - but one of them say that I was speeding - quote "he was going very fast" - that's the only one though.
5. She was ticketed for failure to yield and the fault assigned to her in the police report. I did not get cited at the accident.

What I would like to know is how likely (I'm thinking very likely) is it that her insurance company (Mercury Insurance) will say it's my fault due to speeding? What can I do about it if they do - is there an appeals process?

I'm very nervous about this entire situation.....any info is GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

I'm very nervous about this entire situation.....any info is GREATLY appreciated.
If she was written up for turning against the light and there was no mention of unsafe speed on your part, I don't think one witness's opinion will matter (doubtful they'll even see his statement).

Did you get the insurance issue straightened out. Did you get a violation for not having it?

al91206

The answer is YES! I got insurance the next day....

I don't think anyone knows yet that I don't have insurance - as I still had the card and everything. I was not cited for that - as they thought I did have insurance.

ecmst12

There is roughly a 0% chance. It doesn't matter whether you were speeding if she turned in front of you, it's her fault.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please note - you WILL lose your license for a year for being uninsured at the time of the accident.

al91206

Honestly - my license is so far down on the list of what could go wrong - that I kind of don't care about it.

I care that I'm alive - and nobody in that accident is hurt... I care about my car I guess - and I hope Mercury doesn't mess around with me.

I want to thank everyone here for the advice - I'll stick around to check on this thread for any other advice.

Thanks!!!

ecmst12

There was a police report, so in CA, I think that means it will automatically be reported to the DMV. I'm surprised you didn't get a ticket for not having insurance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There was a police report, so in CA, I think that means it will automatically be reported to the DMV. I'm surprised you didn't get a ticket for not having insurance.
Actually, the police report is separate. However, any accident with over $750 in property damage to any party, or any injury is required (by law) to be reported to the DMV by the parties involved. A rolled over SUV will definitely have over $750 damage.

To the OP - Yes, it is a good thing that everyone is ok. You should be able to get a restricted license for travel to/from work. And, it's not the worst thing in the world...as you have pointed out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">