• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left the scene!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pulledover

Im going to try to make this short but it could be difficult.. Please read through I really need advice!

Im in TEXAS and about 5 months ago I was involved in a low-speed collision which resulted in my clipping the right rearend of some guy in front of me. I had no insurance in my name, but the car was also just given to me 2 days prior, and was still registered in the name of the oringal owner (my step father), who I beleive may have had insurance which still covered the car (to what extent, I am unsure).

Upon finding out I had no insurance, the guy (who claimed to be or to have been at one point a lawyer.. very strange considering what he does next) agreed that we could both drive off (before the police showed up) if I signed a little piece of paper agreeing to pay for the damage, which we both agreed was very minor (probably in the hundred dollar range). I agreed, signed, exchanged some contact information (his did not work), and we both drove off in our own cars, without any police report ever being made.

Several days later; the guy calls and says I owe him $3000 for the damage to his car; and that I signed the paper saying Id pay and if I didnt he would take that paper and report me to the police/whoever and I would be arrested, fined, and/or lose my licesne. Sounding a bit like extortion, I told the guy to send me an estimate and I would see what I could do. He kept asking me for some amount of money and I kept asking for an estimate. By the end of the conversation he agreed to send an estimate and actually had the balls (or maybe brain damage?) to say "well the amount on the estimate will probably come down a little [from $3000]". I said ok and we hung up the phone. I quickly spoke with my father (Im 19) and he said I should call the guy back and ask for 2 estimates from 2 different places. When I tried to call (Several times) I never got an answer or I received some sort of busy tone (this went on for several days).

2 months later; figuring the guy gave up and realized his plan to swipe $3000 from me; I received a collection notice for the amount of $1,500. Apparently, he had uninsured motorist coverage, and decided to use it. The insurance company turned the bill over to the collection agency, which is now threatening to search my assets and confiscate things of value. Keep in mind I never received an estimate, no police report was ever made, and several months passed before I received the first collection notice.

What should I do? Should I dispute the debt or fight it in court (both?)? Could I actually still lose my license or be forced to pay $1,500 (a far cry from the $3000 he asked for, though). I cant afford an attorney and either way it still comes down to my word against his, except he has a little peice of paper that says Id pay for the damage I caused (which im sure wasnt even $1,500, or $3,000).

I need help! Thanks.. Sorry for the long message.......

P

pulledover

Look - I admit I should be liable for something. But I know it wasnt $1,500 worth of damage. It was a 5-10 mph "thump" basically, because I tried to swerve to avoid the accident. The only very apparent damage was a broken tail light and a dent the size of my fist next to the tail light housing. You dont think the guy is guilty of any type of extortion? Regardless of the accident he still tried to get more from me than even the insurance company paid. I think the fact that the guy tried to con me almost wipes out anything I would have owed........... erm.. well anyway.. awaiting replies..

HomeGuru

You owe $1500 period. You will also owe attorneys fees if the collection company hires an attorney to collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">