• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left turn on yellow accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cadriver092009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

At a stop-light intersection, I was hit while making a left turn on yellow and would like to know who is at fault.

The intersection has a dedicated left turn lane with a left turn green light arrow. There is no sign preventing left-turn on green without the left turn arrow however. I had pulled into the intersection on green but was not able to complete the turn. As the light turned yellow, I attempted to complete my left turn. An oncoming car came through the intersection on yellow and hit the back passenger side of the car. To be clear, the direction of the other car, when I say oncoming I mean we were facing each other before my car began to turn.

No one was injured and the damage was relatively minor so I am just trying to see if it will be better to pay for his damage directly as opposed to potentially having my insurance rates increased for an at fault accident.

Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

penelope10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

At a stop-light intersection, I was hit while making a left turn on yellow and would like to know who is at fault.

The intersection has a dedicated left turn lane with a left turn green light arrow. There is no sign preventing left-turn on green without the left turn arrow however. I had pulled into the intersection on green but was not able to complete the turn. As the light turned yellow, I attempted to complete my left turn. An oncoming car came through the intersection on yellow and hit the back passenger side of the car. To be clear, the direction of the other car, when I say oncoming I mean we were facing each other before my car began to turn.

No one was injured and the damage was relatively minor so I am just trying to see if it will be better to pay for his damage directly as opposed to potentially having my insurance rates increased for an at fault accident.

Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The other car had the right of way. One is not to pull into the middle of the intersection on green and wait. If no traffic is coming, one proceeds through the intersection safely on green. If you had been hit when there was a green arrow it would have been the other parties fault. I've had children that were ticketed for doing the same thing (sitting in the middle of the intersection on green).

ecmst12

You can wait in the intersection all you want, but you can't proceed with your turn until it is safe to do so. You were hit, ergo it was not safe. You are at fault.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Technically, you are not supposed to enter the intersection if you can not make it through the intersection on the green.

But, as was said, it doesn't matter to our OP since the OP failed to yield to oncoming traffic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">