• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal fees in New York State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ab3375

Can someone answer this question for me. If you use a lawyer in New York State for an auto accident and you sign a contigency contract which gives them 33% of any settlement, do they take the 33% off of the total amount you receive or do they calculate their fee after a medical lien is settled?
Thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ab3375 said:
Can someone answer this question for me. If you use a lawyer in New York State for an auto accident and you sign a contigency contract which gives them 33% of any settlement, do they take the 33% off of the total amount you receive or do they calculate their fee after a medical lien is settled?
Thank you
My response:

First, it's 33 1/3%, not just 33%.

Second, fees are taken from the "gross" amount received, from whatever source and for whatever reason, then file costs, then medicals, then your share.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">