• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Liability Of Cable Company/I Tripped!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adam531982

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Hello,
My name is Adam. About three weeks ago Time Warner Cable came to our new apartment and hooked up the cable service. We had a cable modem and regular cable service hooked up. The desk and TV are on oppisite ends of the room. The cable guy gave me 15 feet of cable so I didn't have to move the desk (which I was totally willing to do anyways). Last week Tuesday I was walking in the living room and tripped on the cable wire and long story short... had a visit to the emergency room and seriously screwed up my back. Now I have been trying to research this online because a friend told me that LEGALLY they are only allowed to give you up to six feet of wire for reasons just like this. Does anyone know where I can find this law or FCC regulation? Please help, I don't know what my legal options are for pursuing this now that I want to sue for liability. Thanks.

Adam

L

loocpoc

Nope. You were liable. I take it you split the wire however you should of either placed the wire along the wall or up on the wall (they have special tacks that hold the wire in place).

M

macktosh

Last week Tuesday I was walking in the living room and tripped on the cable wire and long story short.
=======================

If the cable guy wired it that way, they are liable, but the cable guy will deny everything since if he left the cable on the floor so you could possibly trip over it, he would be immediatly fired, and in this economy no one is that stupid.

JETX

"If the cable guy wired it that way, they are liable,"
*** Another example of the inane and incorrect postings by the forum troll.....
Happy, when you came back here, the decision was made to give you a little slack until you became too much to handle. I have been pretty lenient so far.... .but this is strike ONE.

M

macktosh

No Jetx...i swear the cable guys used to cut a little hole in carpet and run the cable underneath the rugs.....especially when they are in a hurry and get paid by the job instead of hourly.

I rented 2 apartments in Charleston SC and one in Savannah GA the cable was under the wall to wall rug.

JETX

And where does it say ANYWHERE in this thread that the writer even HAS carpet?? As usual, you are simply making 'knee-jerk' responses assuming facts that are NOT here!!
And THAT is simply a waste of everyones time having to go back and undo your error-filled 'assumptions'.
Still 'strike one'.

adam531982

I DO HAVE CARPET

HELLO, ME AGAIN. I DO HAVE CARPET IN THIS APARTMENT, HOWEVER, HE LEFT THIS WIRE LAYING IN THE MIDDLE OF MY APARTMENT (I DON'T CARE HOW BAD THE ECONOMY IS), I WAS THE ONE WHO PUT IT AGAINST THE WALL, BUT NEAR THE CORNER, THE WIRE CURVES OUT BECAUSE IT'S NOT QUIET LONG ENOUGH, NEEDLESS TO SAY, I STILL VISITED THE HOSPITAL, ETC.... I HEARD LAST NIGHT NOW THAT THERE IS A LEGAL LIMIT TO HOW MUCH CABLE WIRE THEY ARE ALLOWED TO LEAVE YOU, I HEARD IT WAS SIX FEET (HE LEFT ME 15) AND I HEARD THESE LIMITS ARE SET IN PLACE FOR THIS REASON.

ADAM

JETX

1) You have NO claim against the cable company. You simply knew about the cable and tripped in your own ignorance.
2) Don't use ALL caps (see the red text at the top of the screen??)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

By accepting the extra length of cable, and not having the wire properly installed out of harm's way, you "accepted and assumed the risk" of the danger.

Hey, on your way down, how many doors, walls and pieces of furniture did your face smash into?

IAAL

JETX

"**** YOU AND YOUR 'NO CAPS'. GET THE **** OVER IT!"
*** Maybe you could SEE it, but couldn't READ or UNDERSTAND it (it must be hell to have a 3rd grade education and try to 'make it' in the world). :D :D

B

bini

Adam

This is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You should be ashamed of yourself for blaming others for your clumsiness. So the cable guy gave you extra cable. Where I am from this would have been a nice gesture, what if I wanted to rearrange the furniture or something in the future. I usually am not negatory on this forum but this takes the cake. I mean seriously are you the type of person that walks through a store and falls and says "I told them, not to put the banannas there. Also if you did not want that long of a cable why didn't you cut it. Get real. If you think the cable guy is responsible because you do not know how to walk. I am sorry but I have to say "Grow up"

Bini

B

bini

Adam

The 2nd dumbest thing I have heard today is the fact that it was stated a cable guy puts a hole in the carpet and lays the cable under the carpet. Have you ever seen a cable guy do this. The answer is "NO" and the reason why is because the cable man does not do this. If you find cable under a piece of carpet it is because the carpet installer did it. If a cable guy did do it they set themselves up for alot of liability. Why is that, well to be quite frannk it is because of people like you (this is also the reason for the short cable rule). Like I said earlier grow up.

Bini

P.S. Please do not question me on the carpet. I defiently know what I am talking about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">