• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legel Disbursments For Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nyallo

What is the name of your state? NJ
I settled a lawsuit for a car accident in nj to recieve $5,000. Besides the 1/3 for the lawyer also received fees such ass.

complaint/motion fee for $175
Allstate Subpoena served 2 defendants $60.00
DMV Search 3 @ 10.00 $30.00
Photocopy fee $50.00
postage / certified mail $50.00
airborne express/ lawyers service (5) $100.00
child support search fee $40.00

total expense for this was divided in 2 not sure why.

and a $400.00 fee for medical treatment which was already paid for by my realitives insurance company

ARE THE CHARGES CORRECT

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Nyallo said:
What is the name of your state? NJ
I settled a lawsuit for a car accident in nj to recieve $5,000. Besides the 1/3 for the lawyer also received fees such ass.

complaint/motion fee for $175
Allstate Subpoena served 2 defendants $60.00
DMV Search 3 @ 10.00 $30.00
Photocopy fee $50.00
postage / certified mail $50.00
airborne express/ lawyers service (5) $100.00
child support search fee $40.00

total expense for this was divided in 2 not sure why.

MY RESPONSE: Perhaps there were two people in your car being represented?

and a $400.00 fee for medical treatment which was already paid for by my realitives insurance company.

MY RESPONSE: Unpaid medical. Perhaps your relative's insurance company believed these charges were not reasonable; however, and despite their opinion, the doctor must still be paid, and that comes out of your settlement. They were your medical treatments and examinations, not the attorney's.

ARE THE CHARGES CORRECT

MY RESPONSE: They appear reasonable. But, how would we know?

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stephenk said:
IAAL, do you bill separately for postage and copying when a case settles?

My response:

No. In personal injury cases, Gretchen (my Paralegal) keeps a "running tab" of all the various costs, fees and expenses. At the end of the claim, or case, Gretchen submits a "breakdown" sheet to the client, subtracting all fees, costs, medical liens and other expenses from the gross, and the net belongs to the client.

IAAL

P

ProResearch

And from the non-attorney's point of view, if the case is not worth much (say, less than $5K or $8K -- of course this is based *only* on my knowledge, so take a grain of salt. Attorneys in this area won't even take a case if medicals are not at least $5K) it may be better to try to settle on your own. With the Internet available and excellent research web sites (like this one -- see the FAQs or use the Search function for answers to problems already posted, yes, similar to your own problem!!!).... you can do very well yourself. Up to a certain point.

I settled my $16K-$17K case (based upon attorney consultation and other helpful info) for $14.5K....... can't do much better than that. I had to pay back medical lien (from myhealth insurance and a couple of other bills) but would have had to do that on top of lawyer fees and cost. The other side knows what a case is worth based upon your medical records and the county/state (jurisdiction) the injury occurs. And you should know too. Find out what your case is worth with a consultation with an attorney or two. If they won't tell you, find another one who will! However, if you do decide to hire an attorney, make sure he is a trial attorney too, not just a settlement lawyer, in case you *do* have to file suit.

Research, research, consult with an attorney or three, and ask questions. Know your rights. Don't just accept what *they* say, make them prove it :)

Last edited:

stephenk

What I meant IAAL, do you charge the client for postage and copying or are those items absorbed by you within your contingency fee as normal overhead?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stephenk said:
What I meant IAAL, do you charge the client for postage and copying or are those items absorbed by you within your contingency fee as normal overhead?

My response:

No. Every penny of costs and expenses are tallied as they occur and are charged back to the client. A client's case is not "my" case. The mentioned costs and expenses, as well as others, are costs and expenses that the client would have "reasonably" expended on their own if they were running their own claims or cases. Why would I, or any attorney, "absorb" these, or any, expenses? For the privilege of handling someone's claim?

I don't think so.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">