• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

letting someone borrow a car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamah

What is the name of your state?CA
My ex husband wants to use one of my cars. I don't know for how long. I have insurance on it, but he is excluded. Of course, I told him that he would have to show me proof that he has secured insurance on himself for driving the car. I'm concerned that if he got in an accident or got tickets, I might be liable. What kind of contract can I write up with him to protect myself. I don't mind letting him use the car, I just don't want to get stuck with another problem that he's created. Also, he understands that his use of the car would be at my discretion. Could I say that when I want the car back he has three days to get it to me or I can report it stolen? What would be a good way to cover all the possible problems now, so it will be spelled out for him.

Thanks,
E

Last edited:

teflon_jones

If you let him use the car, you're liable. Nothing you draw up is going to protect you.

You can't report a car stolen that you let someone borrow, even if you let them borrow if for a day and they kept it for a year.

mamah

Okay, he wants me to put the car in his name, and then, he says, he'd give it back to me when he's done. I'm trying to help the guy, but I don't trust him. He says that he would write up a paper saying that he would not sell the car. Would that be possible?

longneck

rent him a car. make sure the rental agency knows he will be driving. pay the extra $$$ for LDW and liability insurance so if he wrecks the car and injures someone else, he's covered.

mamah

Thanks for the reply, but the idea is it to not cost him anything except insurance. His car he has right now is getting repoed. He's a total jerk, but I'm willing to help him so long as it's not going to hurt me. So, I'm trying to figure out a way for him to use the car and protecting me at the same time. He gets in accidents and gets tickets rather frequently. He's been harassing me and if I tell him no, I know it's going to get worse. If I tell him he can't use the car, he'll go off.

teflon_jones

So you're letting him intimidate you into giving him the car? :confused:

Sorry, but nobody here can help you if you can't tell him no. There's nothing you can do to protect yourself short of selling/giving him the car and walking away with no strings attached.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">