• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Letting someone drive your car without a license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ErinGoBragh

What is the name of your state? NY

Hey everyone,

I just have a quick question. I found out earlier my sister is letting her boyfriend drive her car around, and he doesn't have a license. I'd kinda like to say something to her about it but I'm not really sure what the law is surrounding this. If he got into an accident with her car, couldn't she be sued? Or if he got pulled over, wouldn't the car get towed? She's fairly money-conscious, so monetary stuff that might scare her a bit would be especially helpful.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum as well, but this seems the closest to my inquiry.

Thanks!

seniorjudge

Tell her to make sure that her liability insurance is at about ten million dollars AND that it covers unlicensed drivers.

StephenH

Yes, she can be in deep trouble

Here is what can happen:

1) If she is caught, that she can be fined, plus in some states the unlicensed driver can face a misdemenaor charge. This could be a fine or even jail time. Plus the person will likely be delayed in being able to obtain a license.

2) In some states, cars can be emponded for 30 days, and the car owner can have to pay all towing and storage fees.

3) Usually insurance will deny claims if the person knowingly let an unlicensed driver drive, and the car owner and unlicensed driver will have to likely pay all costs of an accident if they are at fault.

I would recommend that the person in question go get a learners permit. I beleive that in NY, the age to obtain a permit is 16 (if you live outside NYC) and 17 if you are in NYC, and the driving age is 16 (if outside NYC), and 18 (if in NYC). NY has regional restrictions and graduated licensing.

ecmst12

3) depends on the state and the policy. OP's sister should read hers. However, it's just plain DUMB to let someone drive your car if you KNOW they don't have a license.

If he gets stopped and it's found he doesn't have a license, the officer will see if there is a licensed driver in the car and if so, allow that person to drive home. If there is no licensed driver in the car, the car will be impounded but I don't think for any length of time, the owner will just have to come to the impound lot and pay a crapload of fees to get it back.

ErinGoBragh

3) However, it's just plain DUMB to let someone drive your car if you KNOW they don't have a license..
I really agree. I spoke with her last night and she swears it won't happen again.. she really thought legally she has absolutely nothing to worry about. For the record, the guy is 23, my age, and had his license suspended or revoked, not sure which, due to non-payment of child support. So it's not like he doesn't know what the hell he's doing either.

seniorjudge

I really agree. I spoke with her last night and she swears it won't happen again.. she really thought legally she has absolutely nothing to worry about. For the record, the guy is 23, my age, and had his license suspended or revoked, not sure which, due to non-payment of child support. So it's not like he doesn't know what the hell he's doing either.
She has bigger problems than insurance.

If she has hooked up with this guy, she has a loser on her hands.

And you can quote me on that.

ErinGoBragh

That's pretty much what I've told her.. she never has good taste in men. And then she calls me picky because I won't date anyone with kids, without a job, or with a criminal record.

But unfortunately there's only so much input I can give her that will actually sink in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">