• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

larry1950

What is the name of your state?california what is the liability of a registered owner of a vehicle. Afriend was driving and got in an accident, he and I are being sued for 475,000, dollars. I wasn't even there

Just Blue

larry1950 said:
What is the name of your state?california what is the liability of a registered owner of a vehicle. Afriend was driving and got in an accident, he and I are being sued for 475,000, dollars. I wasn't even there

Your car...You are liabil.. :(

teflon_jones

As the registered owner you're liable for the actions of anybody that drives it

How much liability insurance do you have on the car? You should inform your insurance company that you're getting sued.

larry1950

I'm insured for 15,000/30,000, my insurance co. offered them the 15,000 but they refused, insurance co. lawyer is representing me, should I get my own attorney. Insurance co. only liabile for 15,000

teflon_jones

Was your friend cited for the accident? Did he appeal any tickets he received or did he just pay them? Who did the police report state was at fault? Has your insurance company indicated who they feel is at fault? What were the injuries to the other party that they sueing for (breakdown of the $475K sought).

Litigation!

You Had Just The Right Amount Of Coverage - - In This Situation . . .

larry1950 said:

My response:

You are the owner of a vehicle, permissibly loaned to your friend. By statute, the owner of a motor vehicle is vicariously liable for death or injury to person or property resulting from the wrongful (negligent or intentional) operation of the vehicle by any person using it with the owner's express or implied permission. [Ca Vehicle § 17150]

The statute is an outgrowth of the overriding public policy interest in protecting innocent third parties from injury at the hands of careless drivers: "[T]his protection should be paramount to the rights of an owner who has permitted the use of his car by others even though he, personally, was not guilty of negligence." [Burgess v. Cahill (1945) 26 Cal.2d 320, 323, 158 P.2d 393, 394]

Like the doctrine of respondeat superior, the "permissive use" statute imputes liability without regard to the owner's culpability. Since the vehicle owner's liability is not "based on principles of comparative fault" (Ca Civil § 1431.2(a)), Proposition 51 does not limit the owner's noneconomic damages liability when that liability rests solely on the permissive use statute. [Rashtian v. BRAC-BH, Inc. (1992) 9 Cal.App.4th 1847, 1854, 12 Cal.Rptr.2d 411, 416]

For purposes of permissive use liability, owner and driver are treated as a single tortfeasor: "Whatever noneconomic damages are properly charged to the operator are likewise the burden of the owner." [Rashtian v. BRAC-BH, Inc., supra, 9 Cal.App.4th at 1854, 12 Cal.Rptr.2d at 416; see also Galvis v. Petito (1993) 13 Cal.App.4th 551, 16 Cal.Rptr.2d 560, 568; and Miller v. Stouffer (1992) 9 Cal.App.4th 70, 11 Cal.Rptr.2d 454]

However, Ca Vehicle § 17150 does not create "true" vicarious liability . . . because the statute also puts a dollar cap on the owner's exposure: Permissive use liability cannot exceed $15,000 per injury, $30,000 per occurrence, and $5,000 for property damage; nor can the driver's punitive damages liability be imputed to the owner. [Ca Vehicle § 17151; see Ca Vehicle § 17155--total $30,000 settlement limits]

IAAL

sukharev

Good one IAAL :)

hey, I am beginning to believe your story with Paralegal, although it was nearly as good as the mouse story...

larry1950

Thank You, iaal for the information, it was very helpful. Thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate the info. Oh, it was my friends fault in the accident, he rear ended someone at about 10 mph.

Litigation!

larry1950 said:
Thank You, iaal for the information, it was very helpful.

My response:

You're welcome. But, I strongly encourage you to bump up your coverages. This could have easily been YOUR accident, and YOUR fault. Then, where would you be?

IAAL

stephenk

what was the reason your friend was driving your car? The answer does make a difference regarding your exposure in the lawsuit.

larry1950

Liability

My friend was driving my work truck because his van was broke down, he is part of the law suit and he wasn't ticketed for rear ending the other car. He was stopped at a traffic light and remembers the car starting to go, looked down for something and the other car stopped. The estimated speed was 5-10 mph. The other driver wanted to fight before the police got there. He then took himself to the hospital complaining of back and neck pain....his wife jumped on board of the lawsuit and said she has lost most of her husbands usefullness...thus the 475,000. dollars demanded in the lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">