• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability/Collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whisper64

What is the name of your state? CA

I sold a car 5 months ago and sent in the release of liablity form never thought anymore of it.
October I get a letter from a Lien company saying that they have the car and it was picked up by the cops on the side of the road, they contacted me as it showed it was still in my name, so I called and they asked me at the Lien holders to send in the copy I had of the release of liability which I did they said not to worry leave it with us DMV takes forever to process the release.
Today letter from Collections company wanting money? I call them the collections, they say prove that you sent in the liability how can I prove it? and they said the new owner never registered the car in his name. DMV sent in a second request from the local office ie the release form today as they appear to not have the original who knows I don't? the colections are threating to sue me but the guy who bought the car admits he bought it from me and there are reciepts and a witness to the sale.
I have been told to ignore the collections as they are trying to scare me.?

Any thoughts please oh I am European never sold a car here before and my best friend was very strict to make sure that I mailed the liabilty form in which makes it worse now as I did all I could.
What should I do?

Julia

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">