• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liability for hitting a totaled car??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

onecrazyguy69

What is the name of your state? what is the name of your state? pa
car #2 hit car #1, 5 minutes later i come long and hit car #2.
the damage caused to car #2 when it hit car #1 was enough to classifiy car #2 as being totaled (before i hit it)
What am i liable for??

HomeGuru

onecrazyguy69 said:
What is the name of your state? what is the name of your state? pa
car #2 hit car #1, 5 minutes later i come long and hit car #2.
the damage caused to car #2 when it hit car #1 was enough to classifiy car #2 as being totaled (before i hit it)
What am i liable for??
**A: car 54 where are you?

H

hexeliebe

What am i liable for??
Anything and everything a judge says you are.

How the Hell do you expect us to know? Do you want to hold up a copy of your accident report to your monitor so we can at least read it?:rolleyes:

stephenk

you are liable for the damage caused to the part of the vehicle you hit.

if car 2 hit another car and the damage to the front of car 2 cost $3000 to repair and then you hit the rear of car 2 and caused $2000 of rear damage, you are liable for $2000 in damage or the proportionate share of the total loss value of the car based on the gross amount of the damage caused to the car.

$2000 of $5000 total damage is 40%.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stephenk said:
you are liable for the damage caused to the part of the vehicle you hit.

if car 2 hit another car and the damage to the front of car 2 cost $3000 to repair and then you hit the rear of car 2 and caused $2000 of rear damage, you are liable for $2000 in damage or the proportionate share of the total loss value of the car based on the gross amount of the damage caused to the car.

$2000 of $5000 total damage is 40%.

My response:

You're missing, or you missed, the point of this whole thread, Stephen.

The writer says the car was already "totaled" by the initial collision. If that's so, then any further damage he would have caused wouldn't have made the value of the car any worse, now would it!

It was already a total loss just from the front-end damage alone. Please explain to us, if something is already worth "nothing", then how do you make that item worth "less than nothing"?

Therefore, I disagree with your assessment.

IAAL

Last edited:
cars are often written-off as a total loss or salvage even when they are still perfectly drivable. hail-damaged cars are often totalled by the insurers, for example.

salvaged or totalled cars often have different values. newer cars with salvagable electronics, engine components or undeployed airbags would be more valuable than a car that had been hit by a train.

that "totalled" car had a very specific value to a purchaser of salvagable vehicles based on the dollar value of parts he expected to be able to pull out of the car. a totalled car is almost never worth $0.

G

GodsOther

Crazyhorse said:

that "totalled" car had a very specific value to a purchaser of salvagable vehicles based on the dollar value of parts he expected to be able to pull out of the car. a totalled car is almost never worth $0.

Totalled is defined as the amount of money it would require to put the car back to it's original conditionexceeds the current blue book value, i.e. car's repair estimated at $5000 however blue book value is $3000 car is then considered Totaled or "a total loss"

how about hail damage on a new car? I've seen plenty of "totalled" new cars in the $30,000 range and it certainly wouldn't have cost $30,000 to put new panels on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">