• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability for at-home adult child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mikkelsg

Florida: My 19 year-old step daughter, a single mother-to-be, has just moved back in with us from out of state and is looking for a job. We "sold" her our old car, which is now titled and insured in her name, and plan to charge her a nominal rent. Could we be held liable if she is at fault in an accident? If so, how might we best minimize/eliminate the risk? Will this change if she's still with us at age 21?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Good question, but let me answer your post with my own question. Same situation with your daughter; however, she lives in an apartment complex.

If she gets into an accident, would the Apartment owner be liable in any manner ?

The answer, of course, is no.

As with the apartment owner, your daughter is an adult and no longer a minor. The same concept applies to you. If the car is in her name, and all she's doing is making payments to you for it, then there's no liability that can attach to you. And, all she's doing is renting a room from you. But, for all intents and purposes under the law, she is the only one responsible for how she conducts her life.

Just make sure, for her sake, the sake of her child, and for the other drivers on the road, that daughter has as much insurance coverage as she can afford - - and that means enough to where it starts to hurt.

IAAL

M

mikkelsg

Thanks for your response. However, the relationship of concern is "supporting parent", rather than landlord. (ie. if she were in an apartment, but we still helped out with a major portion of her rent/food, could someone still come after us?). Part of my concern probably stems from confusion on my part wrt reaching "adulthood" - it seems that there's a gray area between age 18 and 21, and that our continuing to provide support, esp. under our roof, may make it even grayer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">