• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mattpeg

I'm in California. My question is somewhat complicated but here it goes. In 2000 my fiance and I got a car loan. We broke it off amicably about three years ago and we each took one of the cars, both of which had loans. She recently married and her husband is worried that if I totalled the car and had damges to other property that was beyond what I could pay that they could take his house. Is this true? She does not have her name on the title of the house. Does this matter? Thanks in advance.

-Matt

lwpat

I am assuming that both of your names are on the titles and also on the loans. If you or she has an accident in which the liability exceeds the insurance then there could be a judgement entered that would be collectible under the laws of the particular state. The other situation would be if the vehicle was totaled the insurance would probably not cover the remaining loan amount.

This really needs to be straigntened out now before it becomes even more complicated. You need to sell each other the respective vehicles and each arrange for your own loan.

M

mattpeg

re:

Ok. She wrecked the car she had months ago. She is still paying off the remaining loan amount. My credit isn't very good and my loan applications are being rejected. I need a car for my 30 minute commute to work or I'm screwed. Not a lot of options so I am asking if I got into an accident could her new husband's house be up for grabs to settle property damage claims?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">