• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liable for damages for accident caused by future husband?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mastaliane

What is the name of your state? California - My boyfriend was involved in a car accident, for which he was at fault. Damages to the other party exceed his insurance coverage so it is foresee-able that he may be sued for the outstanding amount. We are scheduled to get married next month. If he does get sued, will my assests (acquired before our relationship) be affected once we are married? Does timing of the accident (occuring pre-marriage) have any bearing?

BelizeBreeze

Not as long as you keep your assets (pre-marriage) separate. But, anything you purchase post-marriage, OR the marital home's value from the date of marriage can be.

M

mastaliane

How specifically can I exclude my pre-marital assests - via a pre-nup? My home (currently only in my name) is the largest asset I want to protect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">