• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liable to pay the lowest of 3 estimates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brio.20m.com

What is the name of your state? texas

my wife parked her truck(standard transmission) outside of our old apartment(still running and in neutral) and used the parking brake , she was about to leave but forgot something so went out of the truck back into the apartment(truck still in neutral w/ parking brake on running with the driver side door wide open.)....well the parking brake failed and the truck went rolling backwards down a hill while no one was in it...smashed in to 3 cars, bent her door backwards, and minimally damaged the cars that it hit...she heard the crash ....ran outside and to the truck...her instinct was to get into the truck she did not leave nor did she move the truck she just sat in it....it was a private parking lot at an apartment complex ...yet the cops came when called...they filed a report...but the people whose cars got hit lied and said she was in the truck when it happened....my wife gave all of her contact information to the victims and agreed we would pay....and everyone was nice until the cop showed up...then the victims seemed to change ...they were now acting hostile toward my wife and threatening to sue her....that is all besides the point of my question ...the question is ....I heard that the owner of the wrecked car has to get 3 estimates from 3 different repair shops and we pay the least expensive one....but he got it fixed the next day and we saw no estimates....are we still liable...how true is the myth about the required 3 estimates? is this real?

JETX

Though it is customary to get a few estimates, there is no statutory requirement for a specific number. The key concern here is that someone might take the vehicle to a friend or relative and get an inflated estimate... and turn that in for reimbursement.

I would suggest that you look at the amounts in question and see if it is 'reasonable'. If so, then go ahead and pay it (get a reciept and release). If not, then you will have to decide if the discrepancy is suffienct to warrant a possible lawsuit by the damaged party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">