• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

license suspension for SR-22 filed in wrong state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fico5_98

What is the name of your state?VA
I recently got pulled over for speeding and was arrested because the cop said I was driving on a suspended license. In 2002 I was convicted of a DWI in Mississippi and had my Mississippi license suspended. After getting my Mississippi license reinstated (including filing an SR-22 with Mississippi DMV) I moved to Virginia in February 2004. I then got Virginia insurance and a Virginia driver's license. I also requested my insurance company (the same one that I had in Mississippi) to file an SR-22 with the Virginia DMV. A month later I received a letter from the Commonwealth of Virginia that I would have my license suspended if I did not have file an SR-22 and pay a reinstatement fee to Virginia. I was confused since my insurance policy said that I had an SR-22 filed (it did not specify which state) and I paid a reinstatement fee to Mississippi. Virginia DMV said that if this was the case then everything was in order and my license would not be suspended. Meanwhile, my car was impounded for a mandatory 30 days because of driving on a suspended license-DUI related. I don't think this should be treated as a typical suspended license case but more of a driving with an invalid license (a lesser charge) since I did have an SR-22 but the Virginia DMV was not notified. I would think I should be able to get my car out of impound because of this. I have since straightened everything out with the DMV and they reinstated my license. My court date to petition the court to release my vehicle is tomorrow. I also will try to argue hardship since it is the only vehicle in my home and public transportation is very limited in my area. Any idea if this will work? Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">