• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Limits of liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

davignon

What is the name of your state? Florida. Background: We have a 29 year old son living at home. He owns his own auto and has his own auto insurance. In the past my wife and I have paid the difference in the cost of Florida's minimum required insurance level and the 100,000/300,000/50,000 we carry on our own vehicles. Our reason for doing this is that if our son had an accident and the minimum level of insurance was not sufficient to cover the claim, that because he still lives at home we would be liable for the cost beyond our son's coverage. Being recently retired and now on a more restrictive income we would prefer not to have the cost of increasing our son's auto insurance coverage.

Question: Are we liable for any claim against our son because he lives at home?

BelizeBreeze

davignon said:
What is the name of your state? Florida. Background: We have a 29 year old son living at home. He owns his own auto and has his own auto insurance. In the past my wife and I have paid the difference in the cost of Florida's minimum required insurance level and the 100,000/300,000/50,000 we carry on our own vehicles. Our reason for doing this is that if our son had an accident and the minimum level of insurance was not sufficient to cover the claim, that because he still lives at home we would be liable for the cost beyond our son's coverage. Being recently retired and now on a more restrictive income we would prefer not to have the cost of increasing our son's auto insurance coverage.

Question: Are we liable for any claim against our son because he lives at home?
No. simple enough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">