• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

little parking lot fender bender...whose fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

okiejohn

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My son was trying to find a parking space at Walmart. As he passed an occupied space, the car in it pulled forward leaving the space empty. He checked his mirrors, looked over his shoulder and began backing up to enter the space. A car on the opposite side of the asile was backed into its spot with the front of the car facing the asile. As my son backed up, this car pulled forward and the two collied. My son's car was not damaged but the other car was dented above the front wheel well on the passengers side. The damaged car owner insisted it was my sons fault. My son gave our insurance information, did not admit fault, but apologized. The police were not called. The damaged car owner called my husband and said he is getting estimates for us to pay for the damages. When my son came home and explained the accident, we werent sure it was his fault, or at least not all his fault. Did the other car have the responsiblity to look both ways before pulling out? We just need to know if we have to pay or should pay for all or part of the repair. Thank you.:confused:

HomeGuru

okiejohn said:

My son was trying to find a parking space at Walmart. As he passed an occupied space, the car in it pulled forward leaving the space empty. He checked his mirrors, looked over his shoulder and began backing up to enter the space. A car on the opposite side of the asile was backed into its spot with the front of the car facing the asile. As my son backed up, this car pulled forward and the two collied. My son's car was not damaged but the other car was dented above the front wheel well on the passengers side. The damaged car owner insisted it was my sons fault. My son gave our insurance information, did not admit fault, but apologized. The police were not called. The damaged car owner called my husband and said he is getting estimates for us to pay for the damages. When my son came home and explained the accident, we werent sure it was his fault, or at least not all his fault. Did the other car have the responsiblity to look both ways before pulling out? We just need to know if we have to pay or should pay for all or part of the repair. Thank you.:confused:
**A: your son was guilty because he was reversing.

B

BennyDi

okiejohn said:

I am not in a position to determine who was, or wasn't, at fault. But, I am in the position to say you should report the incident to your insurance company. Your insurance will pay for the other persons damages IF your son is found to be at fault. You want to protect yourself, anyway, in case the other party puts in a Bodily Injury claim. Even though it seems to have been a minor fender bender, 3 months down the road, you might find someone knocking on your door handing you papers stating the other party had a $5,000,000 injury.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">