• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A long and complex story, any advice would be appreicated.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tomek138

What is the name of your state? P.A./N.Y.
This past saturday afternoon, my mothers car was destroyed in a car accident. The car is registered on only her in New York. She gave permission for my oldest brother to drive down to P.A.. He drove down with my other two brothers, his Girlfriend and three friends(theres was another car). Anyways, that afternoon, my brother(the one who had the permission to drive to P.A.)'s friend, asked him, if he could borrow the car to go fishing with the other friend and my younger brother. My other brother also went in another car with a different friend. The thing is, my brother gave permission to the one that asked but never to the his friend that was coming along with him. On the way back from fishing, the two friends switched, so the one who had permission from my brother didn't drive and his friend took the drivers seat(my brother never gave him permission to drive). In the back was my younger brother, and as they were driving back, my oldest brother's other friend went with his own car and my other brother in the front of the two friends that switched postions. As they were driving, the two that switched positions, hit a tree and completely destroyed the car. Believe me that car CAN NOT be fixed. Helicopters came down and lifted the two friends and my younger brother who was sitting the in back to the hospital. My younger brother broke his arm and is going for surgery on Wed. and the two friends are suing my mothers insurance for "pain and suffereing" although they walked out of the car ok and are suffering the least. Now i'd like to know a few things if you guys and gals can help me out.
1. Can my mother be held liable since the driver never had permission to drive from my brother nor my mother. (the driver had about 2 beers before he drove although the breathalizer came out ok(negative), he wasn't wearing the glasses he always wears, had no seat belt, was speeding)
2. Can we bring a civil law suit against the driver for recking the car(the car has only 1-way insurance).???????
3.Can we file a lawsuit against the driver for my younger brothers pain and suffering and the medical bills.??????
4. Can we bring criminal charges against him for driving the car without permission??????
I know this is really long and complex although any help is greatly appreciated before i go and see a lawyer this thursday.
:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">