• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

loss of value as a results of auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

apolon

loss of value as a result of auto accident

Hi,

I was in an accident (in CA) that wasn't my fault. My car was damaged as a result of the accident, but not totalled, and it was fixed by the insurance company. However, I have been trying to sell my car for over half a year, and have been unable to do so even though I am asking for a price that is ~$1000 below the market value. My car did not have noticable internal damage, and it works fine. But we all know that once it has been in an accident, people don't want to buy it. So there is a definite loss of value here. Yet, my lawyer and the insurance company say there is nothing to be done about that. Is that true??
Thanks,
Alex

[Edited by apolon on 12-17-2000 at 02:17 PM]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Yup, because you usually get the lesser of repair or loss of value. But you cannot recover both. You got the cost of repair and that was it -- in the eyes of the law it made you "whole" as if you never had the accident.

Your best bet: sell privately "as is".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">