• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ez_e_27030

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

On 12/21/02, my wife and me was rear ended by a driver with Horace Mann Insurance Coverage. The driver was given a ticket for failure to reduce speed to avoid collision. The Insurance adjuster told us that it would only take about one week for her to contact my wife and me about a settlement. That was three months ago. Before the accident, I just started a new job one week before the accident working for an individual. I was the only employee. The insurance adjuster asked me to provide her with a signed document from my employer with the hours that I worked and my hourly pay rate. Then she requested a notarized copy from my employer, he sent the insurance adjuster requested information. She then requested that my employer send W2 Forms. My employer did not fill out any W2 forms. The IRS does not require an individual to fill out W2 forms, if his wages are below $600. So now, the insurance adjuster requested that my employer give her the names addresses and phone numbers of the clients my employer and I done work for. My employer stated to me” that it would be very unprofessional and an invasion of his clients privacy to give out this information”. The Horace Mann Companies has not offered to compensate my employer for his time and trouble and he sees no reason to continue to speak with these people. My employer stated to me that the Horace Mann Insurance companies have repeatedly disrespected him. He also stated that the insurance adjuster was crossing the line and he refuses to speak with anybody representing the Horace Mann Companies. I was told by several attorneys and a representative of the Department of Insurance, that the names, addresses and phone numbers of my employer's clients is none of the Horace Mann Companies concern. I have also been informed that the Department of Insurance will do nothing to help consumers with a third party insurance claim. The insurance adjuster has sent me letter stating that will not pay me for my lost income because my employer has not provided the necessary documents. He provided a signed document. He provided a notarized document and he has called and verified the information in the documents. My employer has been extremely cooperative. My medical records clearly show that doctors have put me out of work every single day for over 6 months. I lost the opportunity to work for over 6 months. What else can I do? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

C

condaggitt

What else can I do? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

I guess you dont have valid auto insurance.Or else your insurance company would have probably started a lawsuit agaisnt them by now.

They have no reason to hurry up and settle with you, since you have no insurance.So with all the money you saved by not having insurance you can hire a lawyer to sue them.

Case closed.

Not really since the Motor vehicle dept knows you didnt have insurance at the time of the accident, its just a matter of time before they suspend your drivers license. You should have kept your mouth SHUT, and paid for your own damages.

Last edited:

tammy8

In most states (NC included) lost wages are not an obligation. Get your insurance company involved or atleast call their claim dept and speak to a claims adjuster to find out what a company in NC can or can not do.

I recently spoke to my claim buddy in my company and was told that lost wages are not a given in our state. Companies might pay it to get you out of their faces but then again you get more flies with honey (and yes us in the insurance industry rank right up there with the mafia and attorneys:D although I love each and every attorney on here, especially IAAL!)!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">