• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

malpractice cases

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dixdd2

I live in Ohio. I have heard that lawyers are unwilling to take malpractice cases unless the patient has permanent disabilities and\or can't work. I believe that my doctor and\or the anesthesiologist made mistakes that resulted in my being put into a drug-induced coma for two weeks due to Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome with a 10% chance of living. I was in the hospital for a month, on disability for 9 weeks and took another six weeks to work back to full-time. I have some memory\mental processing problems,and my lungs will be healing over the next year, but I am not permanently disabled. I have lost money in pay this year that I couldn't afford, but not thousands of dollars. I have medical bills left over from what insurance didn't pay but not tens of thousands. My family suffered horribly through this, and it was a hard road back for me. That's my question: is a settlement possible, and will lawyers take on cases that don't involve massive amounts of money even if the doctors were negligent? Is there another way to make a doctor responsible for his mistakes? Thanks

ALawyer

True. Medical malpractice is often difficult and expensive to prove, and the doctors' insurance companies often take a "millions for defense, not one cent for settlement" approach. So many lawyers have become cautious and selective in taking malpractice cases. Unless the liability is rather clear and/or the damages are likely to be significant or an issue of significance is involved, they may shy away from them.

BUT, I am in no position to tell you if your case is or is not attractive to a lawyer who does malpractice work -- and both malpractice and personal injury lawyers do that work, as I do not know the facts or the doctors involved and, quite frankly, I do not know if a lawyer could show there are any "permanent injuries" or not. If I were you I would not be so certain there are no "permanent injuries" yet -- despite what the doctors told you. Also, it may be that the same lawyers and doctors are or were involved with another matter so your case would be easy for them.

As lawyers listed on http://AttorneyPages.com provide a free initial consultation in these kinds of cases, why not contact a few and listen to what they say.

P

PamSJS

Dear Donna;

Yes, there is another way to "make a doctor pay for his mistakes." Contact the Ohio Board of Medical Examiners and ask them to send you forms for filing a formal complaint against your doc. It may be, he has been in trouble before, and if he has, it is your responsibility to others to make sure he is stopped before he kills someone. The medical licensing board will conduct a thorough investigation into your complaint and if he was negligent, he will be disciplined by the board, possibly sanctioned, or may even have his license to practice medicine suspended or revoked.

If I can be of further help, contact me personally at <[email protected]>

Best of Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">