• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mandatory collision insurance with lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fsb

I live in North Carolina, I recently had an accident in New Jersey. When I opened my auto insurance policy I thought I had gotten collision/comprehensive coverage. In fact, I thought it was a legal requirement that I had it. When I called with the claim I was told I did not have that coverage. When I looked at the policy I found out that I did not.

Is it mandatory in NC or NJ that a vehicle with a lien against it be covered with collision/comprehensive insurance? If so, who is responsible for ensuring that coverage. I thought I had made the company aware their was a lien and thought comprehensive/collision was included.

I ask about NJ because the insurer must provide coverage that meets the mandatory requirements for another state's laws if the accident occurs in that other state.

Thanks, any other ideas?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">