• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Manufacturer Defect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustMarried2004

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I was completely stopped and rear-ended by a vehicle going around 35/40 miles per hour. The impact pushed the front of my car, a 2002 Chevy Cavalier under the SUV in front of me. The impact had such force that it caused my drivers seat to break. I blacked out and suffered from neck strain / sprain and have been under chiropractic care since Oct. My question is, would the manufacturer of the seat be liable for any portion of the medical / pain & suffering? Also, what actions can be taken to force Chevy to provide a better seat? I am concerned due to the fact that if I would have had a child behind my seat they would have been injured severely.

teflon_jones

You need to find out if there is a history of problems with that seat. If not, then there's nothing you can do. The impact, by your own admission, was severe, so it's not surprising that your seat could break.

Lynx 36

Quote: "I am concerned due to the fact that if I would have had a child behind my seat they would have been injured severely."

B/c of the impact, not your car seat. If a baby is strapped to the back seat in a car seat, how does your front seat beaking have anything to do w/ the injury to the child?e

Quote: "I blacked out and suffered from neck strain / sprain and have been under chiropractic"

Why don't you go to a neurologist, who is a real doctor, and can actually cure what ails you instead of a chiro which you will be visiting the rest of your life.

JustMarried2004

Yes, a child could have been injured from the impact. However, with the force of a seat with an adults weight slamming down on a child's car seat that could injure a child significantly.

I am not looking to sue the manufacturer, I would just like to make sure that people are aware that this can and does happen. It is proven that car manufacturers are aware of such problems and choose not to fix them or change parts because of the associated costs.

Lynx 36

The car manufacturer is not at fault here. My goodness!!! You got creamed in the rear by a car. It's not unusual f/ a car seat to come off track or break during a collision. I've seen it happen in all makes and models of cars. I've also never seen anyone hurt by a carseat breaking, maybe you could be the first.

Quote: "I am not looking to sue the manufacturer,"

Good b/c you would lose. Chevrolet will not do or owe you anything. If there was a re-call on a seat they would have sent you a letter.

Quote: "It is proven that car manufacturers are aware of such problems and choose not to fix them or change parts because of the associated costs.

Really?! How is that the case here? You got creamed in the rear. Your seat was damaged from the impact not a defect. Nice try though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">