• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maryland MVA and Uninsured Motorist Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Saffamer

We just bought a new car about three weeks ago. Yesterday we recieved a letter from the dealer and a check for $70. The letter said that the Maryland MVA will not issue tags for the car and had my fiance's SoundEx number circled.
We called the MVA and they said that he owed $4,000 in uninsured motorists fees and they will not issue tags for the car until we pay the money OR get on their payment plan with a downpayment of 20%. If we don't, they can come get the car when our temp tags expire (next week). I guess what happened is: He bought an old Nova in April 99 planning on restoring it. The engine blew shortly after so he bought an eclipse and was just going to fix the Nova when he had time. The tire(s) went flat and his condo association had the car towed. He decided he didn't want it, so he left it, having only paid a couple hundred for the car it wasn't worth paying the fees to get it back. He never turned in the tags. So, now, the Maryland MVA has charged uninsured motorist fees from Aug 99 to Apr 2001.

HE says just pay it, I say it's extortion and I'd rather pay a lawyer to fight it. Is it worth fighting?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I have no answers to you, but as an aside . . .

If you read your post with a "twang" in your voice, it really has the makings of a good "Country Music" song !

"I bought a car . . . and I lost a car . . . my dog just died, and the MVA don't care. I gots no job, and need a little time, I think I'll comb my hair . . . Oh MVA, MVA, why are you so unfair ? "

You can take it from there. And, I promise not to quit my day job.

IAAL

S

Saffamer

heh, it IS hilarious when I step back and look at it from a different perspective. If I had any composing talent I'd finish the song, but.. Plus I don't think my Midwestern accent would do it justice, eh?

ANYWAY, I've called the company that towed the Nova and they still have the records <happy dance> so they're faxing that to me and I'm making butthead write a nice letter to the MVA explaining the situation with a copy of the records.

I'm just peeved because I didn't KNOW my fiance in 99, and it's my car the MVA is threatening. We're cosigners on the loan and it was specified in the contract that we both are on the title and registration. So I can't put the car in just my name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">