• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mass insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandmoyet

What is the name of your state?MA
My 19 year old daughter was involved in a car accident. She was not cited by the police, but her blood alcohol level taken at the hospital was over the limit. Can auto insurance cite her or report this information to the police?

JReyes

If she was not cited for it then there probably won't be any points charged against her license. What may happen is that your insurance rate may go up if your insurance company pays for the damages. Another thing is that your daught can not receive any payment. Since she was driving under the influence she forfeits the right to receive any medical benefits or repairs to the vehicle. Your insurance would pay the finance co. if there is one and the other driver's vehicle.

Lynx 36

sandmoyet said:
What is the name of your state?MA
My 19 year old daughter was involved in a car accident. She was not cited by the police, but her blood alcohol level taken at the hospital was over the limit. Can auto insurance cite her or report this information to the police?
If the insured had collision coverage on her car her own onsurance company would pay to fix it less deductable. I've paid f/ plenty of drunks to get their car fixed. Their rates would go up or their policy cancelled but they are still entitled to coverage if they have it. This includes meds as well.

There must be some law in MA I'm not aware of.

teflon_jones

Insurance companies do not issue citations. The police can cite her after the fact if they obtain her blood alcohol level. I'm assuming a police report was filed? I know of citations being issued after the fact, and also cases where people get away with it. Whether your underage daughter gets cited or not, I hope you're addressing this with her!

JReyes

Most probably some state's laws are different. In NJ if an insured was racing or under the influence they can't collect but we would pay the finance and the the other claimant if there was one involved. The insured wouldn't be able to collect on PIP, either.

Lynx 36

JReyes said:
Most probably some state's laws are different. In NJ if an insured was racing or under the influence they can't collect but we would pay the finance and the the other claimant if there was one involved. The insured wouldn't be able to collect on PIP, either.
Sounds like a good law. Unfortunately not that way in KY & OH.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">