• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A mechanic repaired my car without permission, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nicola123

I took my car into a auto shop in Kissimmee, FL because the coolant was leaking, they changed two pipes and said the car would be fine. I paid them 98 dollars and went on my way. 2 days later my car broke down and the coolant was leaking again, I called the repair shop and told them the problem, they told me to tow the car in, so i towed it to the shop and left it with them, they said they would call me when they were not so busy.

Later that day I called them and asked them what what wrong with my car, they said that another pipe was leaking that they had not seen before and that my head gasket may need repair or replacement as it was probably damaged now as they couldn't get the car to start, they were not sure if the gasket was cracked or whether it needed to be 'trimmed' up. I told them to find out and give me a call back to let me know what exactly was wrong with my car and the costs so that I could decide whether to have the work done or not as my car was very old and has a lot of milage on it. They said this would take them 3 days to get back to me as they were busy and would call me back to let me know, but as a guess they said the worse case scenrio would be about $750 but would do the diagnosis and call me back to give me an estimate. I told them I couln't afford $750 and would probably not have the work done unless it would cost me under $500, so i told them to please let me know as soon as possible (this conversation was all on the phone)

4 days later i received a message on my answering machine saying my car was ready to be picked up. To my shock they had repaired the gasket, replaced something near the turbo, replaced my spark plugs, and replaced a hose, along with a few other things and where charging me for the tow and labor. they told me I owed them 850 dollars and to pick up the car and pay.

I don't know what to do, I told them i didn't give them permission to do this, they never gave me any quote in writing or vebally and never even called me back to verbally tell me what the actual damage was after they had diagnosed.

They are saying that i must pay and pick up the car, what do I do? I need advise.

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks

N Turner
[email protected]
(Owner of Ford Probe 1990 GT)
Kissimmee, FL

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer to you is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

It is very simple what you do. Since you obviously did not sign any paperwork to make the fixes, since they fixed it without your permission and are charging you for it (amount charged is not important), it is called false business practice and a unilateral mistake.

you tell them you will not pay them, after you get your car back of course, and you tell them that is exactly because you requested a "quote" or estimate only, and then you would decide to get it fixed or not. did you remember who you spoke with?

after you tell them that, and if they make a fuss and try to keep your car, you tell them you will call the police and have them arrested for fraud and theft (which is in essence what they are trying to do) and conversion (worked on your car without permission) and possibly blackmail (if they make a fuss). after you get your car back, call the better business bureau and file a complaint with them. They may, for investigative purposes only have an independant mechanic look at your car to determine what repairs, if any, were made.

Hope this helps! Keep those frauds off the street.

ataylor0321

Same thing happened to me, only $1500. I took my vehicle in to get looked at and see if repairs were covered under warranty. They called and said the vehicle was ready and when i get there, get slammed with the bill because the warranty company did not approve. They did the work without asking for permission. They said they were going to keep my vehicle until i payed. I called the police and the owner was charged and CONVICTED of extortion. I didnt pay a dime but the $80 diagnosis fee.

I took my car into a auto shop in Kissimmee, FL because the coolant was leaking, they changed two pipes and said the car would be fine. I paid them 98 dollars and went on my way. 2 days later my car broke down and the coolant was leaking again, I called the repair shop and told them the problem, they told me to tow the car in, so i towed it to the shop and left it with them, they said they would call me when they were not so busy.

Later that day I called them and asked them what what wrong with my car, they said that another pipe was leaking that they had not seen before and that my head gasket may need repair or replacement as it was probably damaged now as they couldn't get the car to start, they were not sure if the gasket was cracked or whether it needed to be 'trimmed' up. I told them to find out and give me a call back to let me know what exactly was wrong with my car and the costs so that I could decide whether to have the work done or not as my car was very old and has a lot of milage on it. They said this would take them 3 days to get back to me as they were busy and would call me back to let me know, but as a guess they said the worse case scenrio would be about $750 but would do the diagnosis and call me back to give me an estimate. I told them I couln't afford $750 and would probably not have the work done unless it would cost me under $500, so i told them to please let me know as soon as possible (this conversation was all on the phone)

4 days later i received a message on my answering machine saying my car was ready to be picked up. To my shock they had repaired the gasket, replaced something near the turbo, replaced my spark plugs, and replaced a hose, along with a few other things and where charging me for the tow and labor. they told me I owed them 850 dollars and to pick up the car and pay.

I don't know what to do, I told them i didn't give them permission to do this, they never gave me any quote in writing or vebally and never even called me back to verbally tell me what the actual damage was after they had diagnosed.

They are saying that i must pay and pick up the car, what do I do? I need advise.

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks

N Turner
[email protected]
(Owner of Ford Probe 1990 GT)
Kissimmee, FL

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Same thing happened to me, only $1500. I took my vehicle in to get looked at and see if repairs were covered under warranty. They called and said the vehicle was ready and when i get there, get slammed with the bill because the warranty company did not approve. They did the work without asking for permission. They said they were going to keep my vehicle until i payed. I called the police and the owner was charged and CONVICTED of extortion. I didnt pay a dime but the $80 diagnosis fee.
This thread is long LONG dead - there is no use in necroposting to an 11-1/2 year old thread.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This thread is long LONG dead - there is no use in necroposting to an 11-1/2 year old thread.
Psst... 12 and 1/2 years old ... April 2000 to April 2012 is 12 years and April through November is 6 months and a couple days. :D
Now i am going to duck so if you try to smack me upside the head, you will miss.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Psst... 12 and 1/2 years old ... April 2000 to April 2012 is 12 years and April through November is 6 months and a couple days. :D
Now i am going to duck so if you try to smack me upside the head, you will miss.
I was schooled with new math...can't blame me!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">